Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
The "Nerdy Woodworker"
822 Posts
If I may....

Jump on Cl and buy a cheap 100.00 monotube lathe, like mine.
Sure, its a mono tube, its old, it uses old sized tools like MT1, headstock is 3/4 by 16, its a pain to align the head/tail stock, but... look what I have turned using that lathe, using old chisels, and now 2 carbide tools. I don't even have a chuck, I use the sanding plate that came with it as a faceplate.

I got this lathe 5 months ago wondering if it would even be used, its the most used tool. Having major limitations motivated me to make the face plate work, I used an older 1hp motor to upgrade the original, I've learned a lot on this older lathe, and while I am ready for reverse, standard sizes like MT2, flat bed for steady rest/etc, I am very happy that I was introduced to this portion of woodworking in this way.

I can not get the Nova lathe on sale my wife said I could, money got tight, heck right now I'd be lucky to upgrade to the lathe at harbor freight, but....for 100.00 I have learned a tremendous amount, and I am constantly pushing the envelope with this lathe, segmented, open segmented, open segmented Burl, natural edge segmented, natural edge+Burl+open segmented, and soon....oval.

However, we all have different pocket books. LOL.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Woodworking Talk

·
The "Nerdy Woodworker"
822 Posts
ive got one of the craftsman mono tube style ones if someone wants to buy it ill make them a deal
Parts...oh I need parts. Especially if I need to live with this thing for a while longer...lol

I've got a craftsman mono-tube made in 1978. It's not pretty and sure not the nicest but it does everything I want it to. I like a little nostalgia anyway. I have a friend that has a brand new nova, for what it is and what it can do vs what I can do on my mono-tube...it's not worth the extra $1500.
Mono tube owners UNITE! lol

We all make our own decisions on what we have to spend and what we will purchase.

I recently cleaned up a Craftsman Mono-tube lathe which a friend was giving to another friend. The original owner friend wanted to upgrade to a NOVA DVR lathe after decades of using the Craftsman.

Since I was cleaning up the machine, I was able to see the details of construction and handle the machine. The small handles would frustrate me.

The original owner said the lathe vibrated a lot. I think some of these was the pulley's having moved on the shafts. I removed then and re-set. The machine ran smoothly and without much noise. I did not try turning.

I have a new found respect for all the nice projects that have been created with the Craftsman Mono-tube lathes, but this is not a machine I would recommend.

There were a lot of the Craftsman Mono-tube lathes sold, so they do turn up on eBay and Craigs List. They are inexpensive.

I have seen videos of people using foot/human powered lathes. It is possible to make some really nice pieces on the crudest of equipment. It is just a personal decision on how much you want to spend for a desired feature set.
I had vibration issues at first, but after putting the new motor on, and a new belt, this thing does not hesitate to spin big heavy material. Off balance material will of course shake the lathe table, but in the end it is what it is, an old mono tube lathe and I do my best with it.

I like many others started with certain tools that needed work first, my first table saw was an old Delta tilting table top saw that I spent 2 months restoring, only to buy a brand new Ridgid R4512, I spent my money down the road on my Rikon bandsaw, a tool I could never do without.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.