Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need your help with something since I am so back and forth...

I have never turned but it’s something I have been dreaming about for over a year. I know I’m going to keep at it and work at perfecting this craft. I even have a ton of pen blanks, pepper mill blanks, and cut chunks off a flame box elder tree that fell down so they start drying out (and some burls).

My end goal Is beautiful vases, bowls, and platters/plates.
So here is my question: I know i'm going Nova, but should I go for the Nova Midi lathe which I can afford now, or should I hold out and purchase the more expensive NOVA 24146 1624-44 Wood Lathe? I have been selling junk I don’t use anymore, and now have enough for the midi lathe now. I just don’t want to be in the position where the midi lathe is not enough for what I want to do and will have to sell it and purchase a bigger lathe later. 499 dollars compared to 1300 is huge though….

Side note: I can only buy lathes on amazon – I sell my junk on craigslist and immediately purchase amazon cards (a deal I worked out with the wife).

Should I hold off and save more or go for the midi? Thanks for any input. My mind changes sides every other hour.

·
7,222 Posts
Shame you cannot purchase the lathe from Woodcraft. They have the NOVA 1624 lathe for $900 until this Friday 26 Oct.

You should be able to sell the midi when the time comes, just not sure what the market price will be, or the price of the upgrade.

If the NOVA 1624 is the one you really want, I think it would make sense to get this now if possible.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dave for that kick in the crotch. I guess I should have kept the money and not bought those amazon cards. To be honest though, I could swear the same deal was on amazon about a month ago.

I missed out. Hopefully another sale happens during the holidays? Maybe cyber Monday or something?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Thanks Dave for that kick in the crotch. I guess I should have kept the money and not bought those amazon cards. To be honest though, I could swear the same deal was on amazon about a month ago.

I missed out. Hopefully another sale happens during the holidays? Maybe cyber Monday or something?
Have you tried to see if you can buy from Woodcraft through an Amazon storefront?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
65BAJA said:
Not through Woodcraft on Amazon. They charge shipping, even with Prime.
I don't think you can buy nova lathes through woodcraft on amazon. You have to go through nova. So your right, no free shipping with woodcraft but free shipping with nova.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Well I can’t help much but I have the 1624 and for a while the Comet (until Christmas).
I have set the Comet up and ran it but have not turned on it. I assume you did notice on Amazon they have two listings, one at $499 and one at about $485 which includes the attachment. The $485 has an IO after the number for Introductory Offer.
If you have a Woodcraft near you the current sale on the 1624 is a great price. But it is still almost double…and I assume you will need turning tools, a chuck, and .and on and on.
I did turn a couple of bowls about 16” but nobody really wanted them…just too big. I do not regret the 1624 because I can do anything I ever foresee doing with the 1.5hp.
I think you can make beautiful vases, bowls, and platters/plates on either, it is just a matter of how large.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NCPaladin said:
Well I can’t help much but I have the 1624 and for a while the Comet (until Christmas).
I have set the Comet up and ran it but have not turned on it. I assume you did notice on Amazon they have two listings, one at $499 and one at about $485 which includes the attachment. The $485 has an IO after the number for Introductory Offer.
If you have a Woodcraft near you the current sale on the 1624 is a great price. But it is still almost double…and I assume you will need turning tools, a chuck, and .and on and on.
I did turn a couple of bowls about 16” but nobody really wanted them…just too big. I do not regret the 1624 because I can do anything I ever foresee doing with the 1.5hp.
I think you can make beautiful vases, bowls, and platters/plates on either, it is just a matter of how large.
Very well said thank you. I think I'm going to wait until December with the hope a Sale shows up on amazon for the bigger large. If not, may go small but we shall see.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I used the older Nova Comet for many years along with some larger lathes. I eventually stepped up to the Nova 3000 which was the precurser to the 16/24. Hold out for the bigger lathe. You'll want one anyway. I really cringed when I bought the Powermatic 3520. That was a huge amount of money to me but I bit the bullet. I never spent my money more wisely. that machine has been a total joy to use.
I like the Nova 16/24 a lot. I think it's a best buy for the price range.

·
The "Nerdy Woodworker"
822 Posts
If I may....

Jump on Cl and buy a cheap 100.00 monotube lathe, like mine.
Sure, its a mono tube, its old, it uses old sized tools like MT1, headstock is 3/4 by 16, its a pain to align the head/tail stock, but... look what I have turned using that lathe, using old chisels, and now 2 carbide tools. I don't even have a chuck, I use the sanding plate that came with it as a faceplate.

I got this lathe 5 months ago wondering if it would even be used, its the most used tool. Having major limitations motivated me to make the face plate work, I used an older 1hp motor to upgrade the original, I've learned a lot on this older lathe, and while I am ready for reverse, standard sizes like MT2, flat bed for steady rest/etc, I am very happy that I was introduced to this portion of woodworking in this way.

I can not get the Nova lathe on sale my wife said I could, money got tight, heck right now I'd be lucky to upgrade to the lathe at harbor freight, but....for 100.00 I have learned a tremendous amount, and I am constantly pushing the envelope with this lathe, segmented, open segmented, open segmented Burl, natural edge segmented, natural edge+Burl+open segmented, and soon....oval.

However, we all have different pocket books. LOL.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Woodworking Talk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
fboyles said:
Before you make a large purchase on Amazon take the time to check on www.camelcamelcamel.com to make sure your not buying on the high side. Amazon's price go up and down. You can also sign up for alerts that will let you know the next time that the Comet goes on sale.
Fboyles. Camelcamelcamel is one of the best internet sites I've seen in a while. Thanks!

·
Registered
653 Posts
+1 with Oldmacnut, I just got off CL and found about 20 used lathes for $50.00 to $150.00. Many of the lathes were Craftsman, but there were a few others with two rails. Many included the chisels. So you may want to start with a used lathe to see how you like it. Also you can save a lot on cutting tools.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've got a craftsman mono-tube made in 1978. It's not pretty and sure not the nicest but it does everything I want it to. I like a little nostalgia anyway. I have a friend that has a brand new nova, for what it is and what it can do vs what I can do on my mono-tube...it's not worth the extra $1500.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.