Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just competed a table that I have a lot of hours into and it's gorgeous, many are interested in more like it.

I've put 3 coats of polyurethane satin finish, sanding between each. I used murphy oil and sanded with 600 grit to get it smoother. Afterwards I applied a wax. I'm not happy with the finish at all.

What should I do at this point? I"m tempted to sand and put another coat of polyurethane on.... Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Keith

·
Old School
24,027 Posts

I don't use wax on anything. It's little to no protection and precludes doing any further finishing if need be. It's only a temporary enhancement, and needs to be applied regularly.

You'll first need to remove all evidence of the wax and the oil soap to do any more finishing. A wet wipe down with mineral spirits may remove the wax.

·
Registered
26,338 Posts
The problem with rubbing out a satin finish is it will get glossier the more you rub it. If it were me I would wash the table down with a wax and grease remover such as Dupont Prepsol Solvent, scuff sand it and apply another coat. A wipe on poly may be easier for you to get better results than brushing it however if you are going to brush it apply the poly with as soft of a brush as you can find and with as few brush strokes as possible. The more you brush it the more the brush marks shows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts