Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CAB acrylic lacquer spray finish on a stained maple top resulted in a slight orange peel. I have lightly sanded the surface and would like to respray it without having to completely remove the finish and restain. Will the additional lacquer coat flatten the existing light peel and result in a smooth surface (assuming my gun setup is right this time)?
Many thanks,
-George

·
Registered
26,984 Posts
Normally orange peal is caused by the finish not being thinned enough. It kinda dries on impact before it flows out. You can correct it by sanding some of it out and putting another coat or two that is thinned better. It would help your situation too if you would add retarder thinner to the mix and shoot it in the morning before it gets hot. I wouldn't make a habit of using retarder thinner to make sure you don't have orange peal. It's better to control the finish with lacquer thinner. Retarders make the finish take longer to cure to where you can stack the parts together or make delivery. It also extends the time the finish offgasses. I primarily use retarder to prevent blushing in humid weather.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve, Thanks for the help, it was definately hot and humid when I shot it and dried looking at it, so I'll try and find some retarder and do it again.
-George.

·
Premium Member
4,831 Posts
Another common cause of orange peel is the finish went on too thick. In your case, it's after the fact, so to repair your finish I would sand it with 320 grit wet/dry paper until the surface is flat. Then recoat. If your surface is not flat, another coat properly thinned will just follow the contour. This is based on my knowledge of solvent based finishes which may not be the same for water based products.
I always use retarder in hot or humid weather. Since it is always hot and humid or cold and humid in Houston area, I add retarder along with fish-eye remover every time I open a new can of lacquer. That way I'm always good to go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My local Sherwin Williams sells a Startex brand lacquer retarder.
My local Sherwin Williams sells a Startex brand lacquer retarder.
That stuff is not worth a dime I've spayed lacquer over 40 years use Mohawk are Gemini retarders
My CAB acrylic lacquer spray finish on a stained maple top resulted in a slight orange peel. I have lightly sanded the surface and would like to respray it without having to completely remove the finish and restain. Will the additional lacquer coat flatten the existing light peel and result in a smooth surface (assuming my gun setup is right this time)?
Many thanks,
-George
You should try a fish eye Eliminator you probably have silicone problems

·
Registered
26,984 Posts
That stuff is not worth a dime I've spayed lacquer over 40 years use Mohawk are Gemini retarders

You should try a fish eye Eliminator you probably have silicone problems
Let you in on a little secret, Gemini makes lacquer for Sherwin Williams. They probably make the Startex retarder thinner too. I was at a Gemini plant onetime and saw them with pallet after pallet of lacquer they were putting Sherwin Williams labels on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts