Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon.
Thank you for allowing me to join your forum. I have been a hobby woodworker for about 23 years and have built everything from shelves for my children to Shaker tables and cabinets.

My reason for posting is the following: about 12 years ago I signed out a woodworking book from my local library, loved it, returned it, and never saw it again; I think they sold it off in one of their annual sales. From what I can remember, the book was something like this:
1. softcover about 8x10", maybe between 40 and 70 pages
2. the author had a German sounding name (Gerhard something or other)
3. the book had about 7 or 8 chapters, or sections, organized as an introduction to hand woodworking (I don't think power tools were discussed). Some of the topics were: basic tools (I think), basic joinery, some planing and surfacing, small projects, and it finished with a section on simple carving (I think it featured a rose inlay for a door).
4. the text was a good sized font and was extremely well written; simple yet detailed.

As you might tell, I just loved the book and am looking to determine its title and get a copy for myself. I appreciate any assistance you may be able to give me.

Have a great day.

John

·
where's my table saw?
27,872 Posts

·
johnep
2,004 Posts
It is a requirement in the UK that a copy of every book published submitted to National Library for archives. US may have similar.
johnep

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is the library still there?

If so, you'd be surprised at how far back their records may go.

And I'm sure they'd let you look through your own records to see what books you've ever taken out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts