Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there .I need help to build a 6 x 8 t and g garden shed .my wife doesnt think I can do it but I know I can .please help .

·
Registered
629 Posts
Well ya first gotta tell us what your skill level is, tools ya have, slab or above ground foundation, etc.
We need somethin' with which to start.
Bill

·
where's my table saw?
28,742 Posts
she may be right...

She knows you way better than we do. :yes: :blink:

You'll have to show us a "plan", something like what you want.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=ytff1-tyc-inbox&va=garden+sheds

http://shopping.search.yahoo.com/search?p=garden+shed+plans

I make sheds on a base platform of 2 x 6's and covered in 3/4" pressure treated plywood.

I just frame up all the walls on the base, cover them with the exterior sheeting or siding, then tip them up one at a time. Frame in a door opening with a double 2 x 6 header and supporting studs. I like sliding barn doors with tracks since they take up no room to swing and do away with large hinges.

The roof can be a "shed" roof. You can make the front wall taller than the rear wall and that amount will be the slope of your roof.
Just lay your roof rafters across and toe nail them or use hurricane cleats. Make a 6" or 8" overhang all around. Sheet the roof with 1/2" plywood and shingle it.

Sounds simple, and it is IF you know what you are doing, have a good plan and have a chop saw or guide for a circular saw and can cut square ends on the framing members.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Go to your local library and get a couple books on building sheds. My library had at least a dozen. Then you'll have a good idea on what it will take to build a shed. The books might even have plans.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Don't want to appear rude but if you know you can do it ,then do it, but if you are asking for help at this stage your wife might be right. Don't know where you live or your situation but in your situation I would try and fid a solution like " habitat for humanity" or a someone who is into construction who can guide you through the process.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good job,I appreciate your work because i have the same problem,but your post solve my problem.Thanks for sharing information,your information increase my knowledge.

·
Registered
72 Posts
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dad always said the best way to learn is to just jump in and get after it. Your going to make mistakes and thats how you learn the most.

If for no other reason, do it just to prove your wife wrong. Nothing is more satisfying than that!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shed building overview

Hi Irish,

I understand what you mean when you start to build a shed or even just think about it, it can become overwhelming. i would suggest (previous shed builder) is to research each step, design a plan and material list. You also want to be able to build something within your skill level as the old saying go's - walk before you can run.

i have started making a shed building free website that should give you an overview of the process i would suggest studding the design section then have a look at the shed building primmer.

The link go's to the home page but the two section (design +Build) are clearly marked links on the left hand side.

http://www.ishedbuild.com

All the best for your shed build

Ross

1 - 9 of 9 Posts