Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new to woodworking and I'm having problems with my wood warping. I'm using 4/4 black walnut. I start out with a piece about 5" by 5" and drill a 3.25" hole in the center with a forstner bit. As I remove material around the edge with a miter saw the hole starts to become oblong or warped. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sounds like your wood isn't dry.
Has it been kiln dried? And if not, how long has it been air drying,
and just important, where?

If your wood is adequately dry (aged), then you have some seriously
distressed wood and nothing will probably help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wood warping

Thanks for trying to help! The wood has been kiln dried. I think some of the problem is friction from the bit because the wood gets pretty hot. Do you think that would make it warp? I am buying the wood from CURLY WOODS in North Texas and he told me most of the wood that he sells has a moisture content around 10%. I don't have a meter so I'm taking his word for it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you tried to take breaks while drilling so the wood doesn't get so hot? If so, does the wood still warp? Do all pieces warp the same? The moisture in the middle of the board may be higher than the surrounding wood and by drilling it you are allowing the center to dry rapidly, thus causing the warpage. Have you tried sealing the wood after drilling? Just some thoughts of things you may try. Good luck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Never seen a small piece warp from heat from machining, but you never know.
Type of slice , mc. may factor.

I'd check the mc.
Do the oven dry test (microwave method)

1. Weigh each section on a balance that has precision of 0.5 percent of the weight of the section and that reads in grams Triple beam or top loading pan balances are suitable for this

2. Microwave the wood, short times low/med heat, just get it hot untill barely any steam (not too hot,, it can catch fire).
Let it cool.

3. Repeat untill the wood looses no more weight.

4. Weigh the wood again

it should take about 15-30 min total

5. (Original weight—Ovendry weight) ) / (Ovendry weight)) x 100
will be your mc.

Ovendry test from Kiln operators manual

jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts