Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I built a farm house dinning table this spring out of Douglas fir. Now, some of the long boards are starting to crack slightly at their ends(hairline). Some cracks are 12inches long. Their are bread boards on either end which should stabilize things for the most part, but I'm wondering if I should screw braces perpendicular to the cracks on the underside? The fir seems strong but I do remember dropping a few scrap pieces and having them split completely just from a 4 foot fall. Any advice?

Damn cold, dry air

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Sorry buddy, but that's a consequence of the joinery that you used. You attached the breadboard ends rigidly to the top. Bad idea with Doug Fir. In retrospect, you shudda only attached the ends at the center point and allowed the long planks to grow or shrink in width.

No way to fix it now without major surgery.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I kinda figured. If the cracks stay small, no biggie I guess. I just hope structurally it's sound. I keep imaging setting my beer down and the table falling into pieces.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
No good news.....once the cracks stabilize you could epoxy them to keep food and crud out....but otherwise your sol

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
. In retrospect, you shudda only attached the ends at the center point and allowed the long planks to grow or shrink in width.
I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying don't glue the breadboards on, rather just use one screw/dowel/ etc from the breadboard to each plank?

·
7,222 Posts
I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying don't glue the breadboards on, rather just use one screw/dowel/ etc from the breadboard to each plank?
Breadboard ends should only be fixed in the middle. They need to float on the side.

Some folks use dowel, pin, screw in the middle.

If you screw to the other planks, the screw holes in the breadboard end need to be elongated widthwise to allow for seasonal movement.

Lots of threads on the forum on this topic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts