Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell all, so this will be my biggest project yet!

I purchased 26BDFT of sapele and 11Feet of maple. The top will be multiple pieces of sapele, roughly 6, 8" +/- pieces laminated together. The aprons and legs will be made of maple.

My main questions are as follows.

I was wanting to do an edging around the table, but began to read there needs to be an ability for the wood to move therefor it would need to be like a breadboard end on the end grain, but the other sides can be permanently attached. If this is true what is the best way to do a breadboard? One long M+T or multip smaller ones with gaps to allow for movement?

How should the aprons be attached to the legs? I was going to just use brackets in the corners and have the aprons touching the legs, but read its typical to use a M+T joint to help with stability.

I've decided i will probably use figure 8 washers to hold the top down.

As far as Mortise and tenons are concerned, I've never done them, i don't have access to a mortiser or attachment for a drill. Would a forstner bit and a chisel be the best way to accomplish this with limited tools?

Thank you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
26,365 Posts
Maybe a better description of the joint on the breadboard end would be tongue and groove. It could be done with a router and or table saw. There wouldn't need to be any drilling or chiseling. Most of the time a tongue about 3/8"x 3/4" is run on the full with of table and the breadboard has a matching groove run it's full length. Then instead of gluing it on it is attached with a few screw from the underside. You could just clamp it on and drill and countersink the holes and then remove it and elongate the screw holes on the tongue. It doesn't take very much but it allows for the table top to expand and contract.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hell all, so this will be my biggest project yet!

As far as Mortise and tenons are concerned, I've never done them, i don't have access to a mortiser or attachment for a drill. Would a forstner bit and a chisel be the best way to accomplish this with limited tools?

Thank you. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

Just a note about breadboard ends, they are not that easy to do properly if you have limited experience. It took me a while to perfect the process and still is not my favorite.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:thumbsup:

Just a note about breadboard ends, they are not that easy to do properly if you have limited experience. It took me a while to perfect the process and still is not my favorite.
Would you mind elaborating on what you found particularly challenging? Any help is good help! Im a noobie woodworker so anything is beneficial.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts