Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I should have no problem with the electrical requirements of these saws.

Can anyone comment about the fence on the G0690/691 the new 1023 or the Jet deluxe exacta?
The G1023RL comes with the Shop Fox Classic, which is a decent Biesemeyer Commercial type clone. The Jet Xacta is very similar.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
i've no first hand experience with jet's fence, but i bet it'll be the most expensive (not necessarily the best) of the one's you're looking at. when i looked at the griz saws in muncy, i wan't too impressed with one of the fences on either the 690 or the 1023 (don't remember which). i was very impressed with the fence that was on the 715 that i saw in their showroom. it was beefy with a very solid head that provided good support for the fence. find out what fence that is and whichever saw (690 or 1023) has it, buy that saw. that fence was really impressive.
That's funny stopped in to check out the 715 on friday and I felt the same way about the fence. I didn't pay much attention to the others since I wasn't looking at 220 saws. In pictures the 691 fence looks like the 715 fence.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A 220V circuit uses a black "hot", either a white or red "hot" and a bare or green "neutral" and depending ... may have a separate "ground", and uses a double pole breaker in the panel.
Per the NEC, the green or bare wire can only be used as the ground (the equipment grounding conductor in NEC terms). If the 220V circuit requires 110V as well, an insulated conductor must be used for the neutral (the grounded conductor in NEC terms). A bare wire cannot be used as the "neutral".

I thought this was an important enough distinction to point out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For what it's worth I was doing the same shopping that you are doing about 6 months ago. Decided on the Steel City. Very satisfied. The reason I went with Steel City was simple. I could save shipping by picking the unit up at Lowes. Other than that both Grizzly and Steel City are a toss up.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
steel city tools are also available through HD online.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts