Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First Post. Let me be be real honest. I bought an old edge sander without even being able to try it because it's wired 220v. Paid $70. It's heavy and would be worth that in scrap. After having two breakers rewired in my garage to 220v I tried it and it worked. While cleaning it, still on a temporary trolly, I knocked it over. Now it runs but has super sensitive tracking. I can't even find a point where it will stop traveling up oand then down the drum. I'm sick about it. There must be a fix. Please help if you can.

Here is what I've done so far:
I can turn the knob to "lower" and it will. But it keeps going too low.

I can turn the knob to "higher" and it will. But it keeps going the belt will almost fly off.
No matterhow sensitively I try to turn the know I can't find a steady tracking point. This was not a problem before I knocked it over onto the concrete floor.

·
where's my table saw?
28,992 Posts
maybe you've got a canted spindle

In other words they are not parallel or close enough to parallel. If you look at the end that may have struck the ground see if that spindle is vertical or as close to that as possible. It may be apparent, maybe not. You will need a common reference surface to check them both with measuring devices, either machinest's squares or a dial indicator.

The rollers certainly haven't changed their shape. :no:

It could be a belt that won't track. Try a different belt, a new one if possible.

Photos would be helpful. My 6" X 48" belt sander is similar and the tracking adjustments are on either side of the non-powered spindle.
They lock in place. Make sure your's aren't backing off a bit under power.
It is a bit sensitive, but it will track and stay on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I sat down and eyed the powered spindle and it was visibly out of alignment, canted. I could move it back into position easily after loosening the bolts holding the motor and spindle. It is working better. The dust collector is bent but not a huge problem to fix. If it gous out again I noticed to larger bolts harder to get at attaching the motor bracket to the large base. Hope not to have to tackle that.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Well thankyou for coming back with an update.

Lot's of sanders here(our shop)......you need to keep them clean.An air hose with a careful approach to "blowin it out" applies.Turn your air prssure down to about 20-40.....ideally using a long reach nozzle(vs short,high blast tip).You're trying to blow the sawdust AND grit particles OFF the machine.Hail Mary airblasts can and do blow the grit into places it shouldn't be.Takes longer to write than implement.

Have fun and be safe.....

PS,be real careful with the electrics on sanders,again a dust issue.........it loves getting into electrical bxs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Sorry for the delay in getting back. I responded when I saw the email.
I'm not as far along as I thought. I will get pictures tomorrow. I manually aligned both rollers by sighting from the motor end. turned it on with a new belt. Wouldn't track more than a few seconds. So I figure the motor bracket is out of cant tilting inwards toward the other roller.
Should I try to bend or pry it back? There are two bolts attaching the motor to the main frame of the sander. Are they the key to correcting my problem? Thanks for sticking with me here.

·
where's my table saw?
28,992 Posts
Use a long flat board

It's gotta be flat and straight though. You just hold it on the rollers and look for daylight or gaps. It will tell you a lot. Without photos we're flyin' blind in the clouds.

You can use a square off the table also to check for cant. You can't have too much cant. Too much cant will result in a won't. ... like the belt won't track. :no:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts