Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help! Not only am I new to computers I have never been in a forum. I am a greenhorn when it comes to wood. Some of my work has turned into flops. I enjoyed doing them even though my craftsmanship is not that well. My grandson loves wood and I would like to teach him a trade since mine is very dangerous. Thank-you for any guidance that you can offer me.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Welcome to the site Virgil!
Hey, don't worry we all started green at one point. I learned from messing up alot of projects.
I taught my son carpentry and some woodworking and he does really well, until he got to the age where girls were more interesting than dads workshop.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
There are many ways of accomplishing tasks in woodworking, so don't let the boatload of methods deter you. The key ingredient is desire, which you obviously have.

A couple of book should help a lot:

The New Woodworker Handbook: The Basics for Spending Wisely, Working Safely, and Having Fun in Your Shop by Tom Hintz. (who happens to be a member on several woodworking forums). Well written book with lots of good pics, explanations, and projects.

New-Woodworker-Handbook

The Complete Book of Woodworking: Detailed Plans for More Than 40 Fabulous Projects.
The Complete Book of Woodworking

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
We have all "messed up" projects virgil. I am about to tackle a woodworking project that will entail a new process i am unfamiliar with, so I am likely to botch it the first time.

Feel free to ask us specific questions so we can point you in the right direction.

What dangerous field are you in if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Help! Not only am I new to computers I have never been in a forum. I am a greenhorn when it comes to wood. Some of my work has turned into flops. I enjoyed doing them even though my craftsmanship is not that well. My grandson loves wood and I would like to teach him a trade since mine is very dangerous. Thank-you for any guidance that you can offer me.
Showing a grandson can be easier then a son, children do not come with a rule book. Woodworking can teach a lot. And it can be taught by even those that are not skilled, as it is about planning and seeing those plans through. Even if the project is a bust, the time is not wasted as the time spent learning is invaluable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keep asking for tools for Christmas and Birthdays! Devour woodworking mags like Fine Woodworking, Wood, etc etc. Get good tools. Don't let the kids get to your chisels! Mine were using them to dig nails out of their tree house!

·
Registered
313 Posts
That's the beauty of this hobby,
the bigger the mistake, the more likely it can be reused somewhere
else, until it gets to small,
then it's called kindling!!!

Welcome "a-board" :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Welcome to the forum virgil.

The people here are extremely helpful, so don't be afraid to ask your questions. The only dumb question is the one where you didn't ask.

Gerry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome I am also new. :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Welcome also - from a newbie too - just keep building - asking questions - and remember as stated - the mistakes you make are just more opportunities to be more creative and become a better crafts person.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts