Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a replica restoration hardware balustrade coffee table for the wife. I've seen a number of DIY blogs that show the process, however I find most to take cheap shortcuts (like using all pocket screws to attach join the panels) which don't account for wood movement, etc. Here's an example of the project:

http://www.ana-white.com/2014/05/plans/balustrade-coffee-table

I've got most of it figured out, except for the base. There are 1x6 panels attached to a frame below. If I glue the panels together, and then fasten the glued panels to the frame underneath, won't it crack over time? How would you do the base properly?

New to the forum, thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mackman - I'll definitely be using those. Would you then use them to secure the table top to the apron, and the bottom shelf to the base frame? If so, I couldn't attach the legs to the base frame, right? I'd have to attach them to the bottom shelf only?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
cross grain going on all over the place on that unit.

bottom, I would build the frame - solid. then t&g the plank edges leave about 1/16" gap between each and glue and brad them down tight.

top appears to be a (butt jointed) style and rail construction, but I can't see what's in the field. a plywood panel would be very stable there.you could spline that, mortise and tenon grooves style and rail, to accept the panel, would be easiest I think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts