Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to hollowing but not to turning & I have a Vicmarc 300 w/21" between center. I would like to buy a hollowing system that would allow me to grow with it & not have to worry about buying another one in the future. I have done some research & the ones that stand out to me are Kobra, Monster, Gizmo, and the new Carter.
I know the Carter has about a 7" depth capacity which may be limiting. I looked on U-tube at the Cobra demonstation & it seems to be an extremely well-built machine but I can find very little information about it. I emailed the two fellows who own the company but have not received a reply, as of yet. As far as Monster goes, I can not find any video except for the Monster Mini, which I do not want. The Gizo seems well built but very limited information available.
Given the fact that I have a Vicmarc with a relatively small bed & is also set-up about 18" from the wall, what would you all recommend as a hollower? As I said, I would like to have one that I could grow with & I would like to buy only one as opposed to regretting the first buy.
Appreciate any help. Thanks to all of you.
JerryPS - I understand Cobra has a long waiting period. Does anyone know how long?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Jerry The only ones of those mentioned I have played with in person are the Monster tool and the cobra. Both are excellent. The Gizmo is built by a guy with an excellent reputation as well so I would say any of those 3 would be good. You might have to wait a while to get the Cobra but they will gladly tell you how where they stand on back orders.
the Carter has 2 limiting factors. Well other than the size and bulk of the rollers. It takes a specialized boring bar that is flat on the bottom. That means you have to use theirs. It is also limited in cut depth. However I did play with one at a show it certainly works as advertised.
YOu left out Lyle Jamieson's system. It is also excellent. I use a home built version of Lyles and it works fine.
If I was going to change I would probably go with the Cobra but I suspect it's higher in price and might take a month or so to get.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts