Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I need to make some room for it, but I'm going to get it iver the weekend. Its not going anywhere.

Unfortunately there is a lot of it that is warped and a lot of narrow pieces. I will be able to use it.

BTW....it does look like it may be cherry according to what you all have said. What do you all think?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yes. It's cherry. I assume you have a planer and I assume you know about cutting pieces down as small as you can before trying to flatten and straighten with your planer and jointer. Less waste that way. Particularly when using frame and panel construction, it is pretty easy to straighten and flatten the shorter and narrower components. It looks like the boards you show are pretty flat and straight though. Good find. Congrats.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yes. It's cherry. I assume you have a planer and I assume you know about cutting pieces down as small as you can before trying to flatten and straighten with your planer and jointer. Less waste that way. Particularly when using frame and panel construction, it is pretty easy to straighten and flatten the shorter and narrower components. It looks like the boards you show are pretty flat and straight though. Good find. Congrats.
I do. And yes, i have some experience in making the best of a marginal piece of wood. Still learning some of the tricks, but i have had pretty good luck at it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love cherry! I once build a entire kitchen in cherry with raised panel doors and end caps. It was glorious!

It will tax even a good sized planer and jointer. But sounds like a good excuse for more or better tools!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
After I loaded all up, it's probably closer to 350-400 bf. But, a lot of it is real warped and twisted. It will be fine if cut into shorter pieces. Most of it is 1x6 but a few are more narrow.

None the less, I will be able to make good use of it.
Wheel Plant Tire Tree Wood

·
Registered
183 Posts
We got a free load similar to that, only it was about one third ash, back in the mid 80s. It came from the property of a friend of a friend. It was definitely worth the effort to get usable pieces out of it. I still have several things that my dad and I built from it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts