Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
i carved this
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im wondering if someone can help me to identify what this part might be called, and where I might be able to get replacements, it broke on my little red lathe, which ive had for well over a decade and made some things on even when its basically a toy tool set, its that 4 in one "real power tool shop" you might have seen on tv commercials in the 90s, heck you might have given one to your kids, and if you had the belt or whatever that is break you might know how to help me here, ive put this thing on a sheet of 1/4 inch graph to get an idea of the size of it, id like to get it back to working order so I can turn more small stuff like this:

the bottom big and little ones are the ones I did
what part would this be called in the a store and what place would sell that broken thing

Attachments

·
i carved this
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what shaker pegs are, those aren't what I was asking about, just showing what the tool was usefull in making, its not metal, its some kind of rubber thing, it cant be a key ring because it use to be a perfectly round thing, and hooked onto 2 pulleys, one on the mini motor and the other on the shaft that I put the lathe driver on, this thing broke when I was turning a peg(I wanted to put homemade shaker pegs in a little wall shelf I was making as a gift, I wanted the whole thing to be 100 percent hand made)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Almost sounds like the drive belt if it went around 2 pulleys, but I originally was with NetDoc. I thought you were asking about the Shaker pegs because of the way you opened...

·
Registered
268 Posts
It appears to be an O-ring to me.
Industrial supply stores should be able to help. Maybe McMaster-Carr?

·
i carved this
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I don't know exactly what you are looking for, but is this the toy you are referring to?

that is the toy I have, I actually have about 2 and half of them, well maybe 2 and 3/4 of them, lost some of the parts to one, ordered another and a while after ordering the 2nd, my sensei gave me one a parent brought in to give him. after I got the 2nd one, I still had the first motor unit and a 6v wall wort, and did a hack on it, rigged it to run on house current instead of the battery box(I hated burning through batteries) and the first ones belt or ring broke, and put in the one from the 2nd one, lasted me a long time, and after I sacrificed a precision screwdriver, I made 2 of these:

one of these days, or years haha ill have to finish those mini goblets by drilling them out(made out of oak from nunchukus ends when my sensei trimmed a pair down to fit a student)

If it's rubber it's an o-ring. You can't tell that from the picture. Here's a link to them from McMaster-Carr: [URL="http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=pry3ap"]http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=pry3ap[/URL]
o rings, ill have to check lowes for them, or a store down here call dal r's, I looked at that site, I didn't know those were measured on inside, outside, and thickness diameters, that should make it much easier to get replacements

Is that the drive belt for your lathe?

If it is black you can join it back together with crazy glue.

If it is coloured you can use heat to melt the ends together.
its black, ill have to try that, if I try melting it, is there any particular way I should do it? ive never tried doing that to anything

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
If it's an O-Ring, I wouldn't bother with trying to repair it with glue or heat. They are cheap and you can probably find a local supplier. Check with plumbing and electrical places if Lowes or HD don't have them.

I had a water treatment tank that leaked and the place I bought it from told me there was no fix and that I'd have to replace it for $1100. Oh, but they were giving me a huge discount because it's normally $2300. I took it apart and replaced the O-Ring to the tune of 93 cents. Those water people aren't allowed in my house anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
that is the toy I have, I actually have about 2 and half of them, well maybe 2 and 3/4 of them, lost some of the parts to one, ordered another and a while after ordering the 2nd, my sensei gave me one a parent brought in to give him. after I got the 2nd one, I still had the first motor unit and a 6v wall wort, and did a hack on it, rigged it to run on house current instead of the battery box(I hated burning through batteries) and the first ones belt or ring broke, and put in the one from the 2nd one, lasted me a long time, and after I sacrificed a precision screwdriver, I made 2 of these:

one of these days, or years haha ill have to finish those mini goblets by drilling them out(made out of oak from nunchukus ends when my sensei trimmed a pair down to fit a student)

o rings, ill have to check lowes for them, or a store down here call dal r's, I looked at that site, I didn't know those were measured on inside, outside, and thickness diameters, that should make it much easier to get replacements

its black, ill have to try that, if I try melting it, is there any particular way I should do it? ive never tried doing that to anything
If it is black it is probably nitrile, put a couple drops of crazy glue on a small sheet of tinfoil, dip each of the ends into the glue and then press them together.

You can get the green material on Ebay, do a search for lathe belts, check the diameter of yours. It is joined by melting the ends and pressing them together, you can use a flame, cigarette lighter, or heat a knife blade red hot and touch ends to it, then press together. There may be a lump where they are joined, trim that with nail clippers or exacto knife.

You will most likely not be able to melt black belt to join it.

·
i carved this
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it's an O-Ring, I wouldn't bother with trying to repair it with glue or heat. They are cheap and you can probably find a local supplier. Check with plumbing and electrical places if Lowes or HD don't have them.

I had a water treatment tank that leaked and the place I bought it from told me there was no fix and that I'd have to replace it for $1100. Oh, but they were giving me a huge discount because it's normally $2300. I took it apart and replaced the O-Ring to the tune of 93 cents. Those water people aren't allowed in my house anymore.
what you described is a big problem I have with technology, for example I have a dell computer that has 3 bad capacitors, its known as the capacitor plague from what I was told(a product of industrial espionage) and everyone told me it would cost more to just change those out than to replace it, so I ended up having to break in a new one, and I have a tv with the same condition, and that tv is only 5 years old, im tempted to get my iron out and see if I can replace the caps myself, I have no real training other than youtube but it don't seem that hard, I emailed a repair shop to see about getting it fixed, and they want 60 just to open it, saying it would cost less to just replace it. I hate how we are expected to just buy replacements instead of making something last.

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
drive belt

I know what shaker pegs are, those aren't what I was asking about, just showing what the tool was usefull in making, its not metal, its some kind of rubber thing, it cant be a key ring because it use to be a perfectly round thing, and hooked onto 2 pulleys, one on the mini motor and the other on the shaft that I put the lathe driver on, this thing broke when I was turning a peg(I wanted to put homemade shaker pegs in a little wall shelf I was making as a gift, I wanted the whole thing to be 100 percent hand made)
These may work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...173?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eccbb995d

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
what you described is a big problem I have with technology, for example I have a dell computer that has 3 bad capacitors, its known as the capacitor plague from what I was told(a product of industrial espionage) and everyone told me it would cost more to just change those out than to replace it, so I ended up having to break in a new one, and I have a tv with the same condition, and that tv is only 5 years old, im tempted to get my iron out and see if I can replace the caps myself, I have no real training other than youtube but it don't seem that hard, I emailed a repair shop to see about getting it fixed, and they want 60 just to open it, saying it would cost less to just replace it. I hate how we are expected to just buy replacements instead of making something last.
how do you know the cap's. are bad ? check with a ohm meter ? or the ends blowed out , or the case opened up on the side? are they electrolitc or just a coupling cap? if you know the value just get them and replace, no big deal , you have to watch the foil on the board and don't get to much heat on the foil or it will pull off the board and break, than you have to run a jumper to the lug. some cap's are postive and neg. ends so watch that also, i have been in repair for over 50 yrs, now retried don't use a solder gun , use a 50 watt iron or their about's you want to know the difference ? i solder gun can create a field that can affect other part's, a iron doesn't good luck

·
i carved this
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
how do you know the cap's. are bad ? check with a ohm meter ? or the ends blowed out , or the case opened up on the side? are they electrolitc or just a coupling cap? if you know the value just get them and replace, no big deal , you have to watch the foil on the board and don't get to much heat on the foil or it will pull off the board and break, than you have to run a jumper to the lug. some cap's are postive and neg. ends so watch that also, i have been in repair for over 50 yrs, now retried don't use a solder gun , use a 50 watt iron or their about's you want to know the difference ? i solder gun can create a field that can affect other part's, a iron doesn't good luck
on the dell pc ive had it going into comas on me while using it, and got tired of nothing I try working, so I opened it up, and under the green thing that has a heat sink in it I saw brown stuff on top of some capacitors, when I called a repair shop the guy I talked to said that would cause it, as for the tv, well after we had the power go out and back on it started turning itself off, im guessing there was some lightning damage, and it got to where I couldn't use it for even 30 seconds(real annoying when im trying to watch an animated justice league movie), and the pc got like that, going into a coma after 5 minutes, so im assuming its capacitors too, I just haven't opened that one up yet, waiting till I free up some money to by replacements, I have a 25 watt iron, had it since 2010. on the caps that are bad, I also noticed some bulging on the sides(im surprised how instructional some youtube videos can be), when I fix the dell, im likely to replace all 6 caps in the specific area that has the 3 bad ones, I figured why not, ill have to remove them to get to the bad ones anyway.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Vacuum cleaner belts also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts