Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I haven't been on in a while, bout 6 months, daughter gettin married house renovation and holiday all took precedent over turning.
Been to Irish wood turning seminar in Sept an over a Beer or 2;) got a challenge presented to me! 3 woodturners (myself and 2 really good turners), A lidded vessel is the challenge, Jean Francois Escoulen guest demonstrator may be asked to judge. i'm in a bit of a panic an need websites with pics or your pics for ideas.
Gus:blink:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Think you might could do a thread search and find plenty.
Other than that, what size are you thinking of?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Just look around you. There are ideas everywhere. Go to the store and look at perfume bottles, lighting fixtures, candlesticks. Don't limit yourself to these look at everything, the lamp pole on the corner may have some detail that would trigger a design for a box. Textures are everywhere, cloth,plants, diamond plate truck panels. The whole world is out there.
I make sketches all the time of ideas that strike me. I often have a piece of napkin with a drawing that has to be translated when I get home.
If you just open our mind you will come up with a good idea. Of course if Escoulen is the judge it might be good to come up with something with offcenter turning.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys,
Checked out the sites, liked the idea of perfume bottle design, offcenter would be cool, will post pics when I complete something.
Gus

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just look around you. There are ideas everywhere. Go to the store and look at perfume bottles, lighting fixtures, candlesticks. Don't limit yourself to these look at everything, the lamp pole on the corner may have some detail that would trigger a design for a box. Textures are everywhere, cloth,plants, diamond plate truck panels. The whole world is out there.
I make sketches all the time of ideas that strike me. I often have a piece of napkin with a drawing that has to be translated when I get home.
If you just open our mind you will come up with a good idea. Of course if Escoulen is the judge it might be good to come up with something with offcenter turning.

No truer words can be spoken. Period. People just do not look around them enough. I say this all the time whn trying to come up with ideas for simple things such as pens. The sky is the limit. Let the imagination run wild. I still marvel at some of the neat things I see people make and not only turning items. I only wish I had the imagination some people pocess. Good luck with the project and be sure to post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts