Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone and thank you in advance for any help. im a new member to the site and this is my first post although ive been visiting off and on for quite some time. i have some small slabs that i am trying to figure out what kind of wood it is. in the pictures a 2 pieces one is straight off the saw the other has been sanded down with 220 and wiped with MS. id say its the hardest wook ive ever cut and smelled horrible when it was sawn. the are 1.5" thick about 8" wide and 4' long and has no flex to it whatsoever. Oh and after handling and sanding it it stained my hands deep blue/purple

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have no idea, but I'm gonna guess and say it's a fruit wood (thinking Osage Orange, Plum, something like that). What part of the country is the wood from?
Ditto to Dominick!

Acer

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
I am going to guess pear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my guesses were pear or plum also, i dont believe orange osage because ive never know one to this area (long island). where it came from is a total mystery and a better question may be what part of the world. the log this was cut from was pulled up in a fishing boats nets far offshore. its probably been buried in the mud for a long time.
ive posted a few pics of other projects i have in the project showcase if youd like to check them out, love to hear your comments and ideas for them.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
my guesses were pear or plum also, i dont believe orange osage because ive never know one to this area (long island). where it came from is a total mystery and a better question may be what part of the world. the log this was cut from was pulled up in a fishing boats nets far offshore. its probably been buried in the mud for a long time.
ive posted a few pics of other projects i have in the project showcase if youd like to check them out, love to hear your comments and ideas for them.
post over here or look at paul hind's wood site ,the most and best for wood id the link's just regester and post paul check's into the wood barter site also http://www.woodbarter.com/

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts