Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a really nice looking mid century modern credenza, which I got for free. The problem is that somebody has used it as a garage work bench and spilled transmission fluid (or something that has a _very_ strong smell) on it.

The material of the credenza is veneered particle board. I have tried Liberon furniture cleaner, vinegar, keeping it out in the sunlight, windshield washing fluid, baking soda and light sanding. I think the problem is that the "smelly oil" is under the veneer and in the particle board, so I can't really get my hands on it.

The credenza is completely useless if I can't get the smell out of it. Could somebody please give me some good advice?

·
Registered
27,653 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Probably the only thing you can do is cover up the smell with another odor. Assuming the odor is inside put an air freshener inside of it until the smell goes away. Probably the only way to really get rid of the smell would be to strip and refinish the piece. Stripping may not remove all the odor but the new finish should seal it in.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
It is sad to read your furniture issues with unwanted aromas. Consider contacting a furniture restorer, who may have had similar problems, and could possibly recommend a solution. Also ask if the effort (cleaning) would justify the value of keeping/using the credenza. Be safe.

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
The quality of that piece makes the best use to continue to be as a work bench. Not worth spendinf any money on it.

George

·
Papa Red
1,169 Posts
The oil/fluids have probably soaked in through the veneer and into the particle board. I don't think you will ever get rid of the smell. I would keep it as a workbench if you want or pass it along.

Red

1 - 7 of 7 Posts