Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
weekend warrior
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, any tips about angle drilling? I need to drill 1-3/8 inch holes into a 4x4 at an angle. The posts will be on a stair case rail and I will be running pipe into them at an angle.

I have a 1-3/8 spade bit. Can this be used with a drill guide?

Thanks!

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Preferably a drill press with a tilting table, but a hand held drill guide could work too. I would try and use a forestner bit if possible, not a spade bit.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If you do have to use a spade bit , drill a small pilot hole for the point of the spade . Use a twist drill bit that is no more than half the gauge of the base of the spadepoint.
For the big hole , high speed , and slowly dip the spade in and out , in and out , in and out , until both the cutters are solidly into the wood .
Do a test hole on scrap first .

·
Registered
517 Posts
Question:

"I would try and use a forestner bit if possible, not a spade bit."

why? What is wrong with using a spade bit?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
The spade edge is more likely to catch and tear out the high side of the angle

·
Registered
620 Posts
Grunkle Stan said:
Question:

"I would try and use a forestner bit if possible, not a spade bit."

why? What is wrong with using a spade bit?
Spade bits were designed to quickly excavate, (not bore) a hole through studs for electricians and plumbers. It by nature makes a ragged hole close to where you want it, and that doesn't matter when they are butchering the framers work.

The Forstner bit guides on the edge. Which is what makes it the right choice to drill angled holes by hand.

It would work easier with a drill guide, which costs about thirty dollars on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
That's a job, where a Shop Smith would be a good choice. Setup for horizontal boring, with a fence clamped to the table at the right angle.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
How many holes are you needing to drill? If more than a few. I would make a fixture that you can clamp at each hole to be drilled. It doesn't seem possible to get good results drilling by hand. Any bit you use will want to wonder. A forstner bit won't drill straight for any depth deeper than an inch or so unless it's in a drill press. But it will work best and leave a cleaner entry hole.

You would be best to make a fixture that is on the angle you need with the entry side square to your drill. Like a block of wood pre drilled for you to get started in.

Forget about a spade bit. You'll see what we mean after attempting the first hole. Cuss words will follow.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Registered
9 Posts
May also depend on the angle...Found out first hand when I attempted this feat that the outermost part of the spade blade made contact prior to me being able to engage the point...less than appropriate language followed...
is it possible a hole saw would be an acceptable alternative?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I seriously doubt you'll be successful with a spade bit for the reasons stated. You need the full round cutting edge of the Forstner to make this cut. What angle are you wanting?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've cut angled holes with a spade bit by starting straight to bury the tip, then slowly tilting the drill to the angle I want. Don't go any deeper than the edge of the hole at an angle would be and it does a pretty good job most of the time. Takes some practice, and is easier with smaller diameter bits. For the size the OP wants I'm with the Forstner Bit camp and a pre-drilled guide

·
weekend warrior
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How many holes are you needing to drill? If more than a few. I would make a fixture that you can clamp at each hole to be drilled. It doesn't seem possible to get good results drilling by hand. Any bit you use will want to wonder. A forstner bit won't drill straight for any depth deeper than an inch or so unless it's in a drill press. But it will work best and leave a cleaner entry hole.

You would be best to make a fixture that is on the angle you need with the entry side square to your drill. Like a block of wood pre drilled for you to get started in.

Forget about a spade bit. You'll see what we mean after attempting the first hole. Cuss words will follow.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.
I am drilling 8 holes on opposite sides of 6-4x4 posts. This is for a stair rail. I am replacing the vertical spindles with horizontal piping.

This is what the deck looks like. I need to do the same thing going down the stairs.

Deck Property Hardwood Wood Wood stain

I'm thinking drill press will be the easiest...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts