Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ash plaque i have engraved,the engraving is 1mm deep.I have sealed the ash with shellac then filled the engraving with liberon hard wax (black).my problem is when i take off the excess wax it bleeds into the grain of the ash..I have de nibbed the ash with 240 grit and sealed it 4 times but it still finds its way into the grain...any suggestions please.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Any chance you could send it through teh thickness planer without hurting your engraving?

Ed

·
Registered
266 Posts
There are TWO things you absolutely MUST do when you are engraving wood with a laser. First, you must pre-finish the plaque - lacquer is the best. Second, after you laser the plaque, you must seal the endgrain so that the paint you use won't wick up and bleed. We do this by waxing the piece with a good-quality wax made for wood floors. Then do your fill, wipe the piece LIGHTLY across the grain to remove the excess from the non-lasered portion, let the paint dry well, then wax again to remove any residue and shine the plaque up nicely.

If you try to color-fill a non-finished piece of wood, you will get residue that won't come out. I can't tell you how many name tags I've trashed because there wasn't enough lacquer on my material.

Nancy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts