Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I need information about clove tree wood.

I'm in Bali, Indonesia but I don't know a lot about the properties of tropical woods/timber. As clove trees are used for the cloves they produce, the local people simply burn the older, less productive trees. In a country where usually nothing goes to waste this has made me curious, or suspicious, about the timber -- why oh why aren't people using it for building or at least furniture?

A friend of mine has some old clove trees (that are no longer producing cloves) on some land, and we are thinking of using it to build a small traditional joglo house (a simple wooden shack).
I've just been searching the internet for a couple of hours, trying to find any information concerning the timber's properties, strengths, weaknesses, etc but all I come up with is hits for the 'cloves' in medicine and other uses.

Can anyone help me with their knowledge or experience? Or even some websites where I can find what I'm looking for.

(I haven't been to see the trees, but I'm confident that they will be the Indonesian species of Clove.

Thanks in advance,

Johnathan

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Hello all,

I need information about clove tree wood.

I'm in Bali, Indonesia but I don't know a lot about the properties of tropical woods/timber. As clove trees are used for the cloves they produce, the local people simply burn the older, less productive trees. In a country where usually nothing goes to waste this has made me curious, or suspicious, about the timber -- why oh why aren't people using it for building or at least furniture?

A friend of mine has some old clove trees (that are no longer producing cloves) on some land, and we are thinking of using it to build a small traditional joglo house (a simple wooden shack).
I've just been searching the internet for a couple of hours, trying to find any information concerning the timber's properties, strengths, weaknesses, etc but all I come up with is hits for the 'cloves' in medicine and other uses.

Can anyone help me with their knowledge or experience? Or even some websites where I can find what I'm looking for.

(I haven't been to see the trees, but I'm confident that they will be the Indonesian species of Clove.

Thanks in advance,

Johnathan
sign into this web site which i am a member and scroll down the page to trees and timber and post and see if any info their also check this search out
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wood+density+database&revid=947362044

http://www.woodbarter.com/[/url]

·
Registered
13,307 Posts
I do not think that you are going to get much help on your subject on this forum. Most of the people are in North America, with a few scattered elsewhere.

I would go go your local furniture/cabinet makers and ask this question of them. Also if there are any saw mills near you, ask them.

George

1 - 4 of 4 Posts