Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

there was a mold build up from leaving a wet towel on my maple counter...without thinking to much i used lysol on it. I woke up this morning with my counter looking like this :(
see like some of the finished was taken off

is this whole counter ruined now? what can i do to fix it? can only be the small area sanded down and refinished or the whole counter ?

thanks for the help

Attachments

·
Registered
26,374 Posts
It will be alright. Before any of us can get into how to fix it we will need to know what product was used to finish the counter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am not exactly sure, we just moved into this house 2 months ago so i dont know exactly whats been done to it.
the only thing i know its maple butcher block wood....so I'm guessing tung oil was over it (?)

·
Registered
26,374 Posts
I think it's more likely the counter was finished with mineral oil rather than tung oil since the finish lifted. What I'm seeing is a build up of oil on the surface that you managed to lift it in spots. In order to make it uniform again I would strip the excess off and re-oil it. I would open the windows and turn off anything in the house with an open flame and wash the counter top down with lacquer thinner rubbing it with 00 steel wool until you get the rings off and it's uniform to the entire counter. As you are working pick up the dirty lacquer thinner with rags so it removes any oil on the surface. You might mask the sink with duct tape to prevent scratching it with the steel wool. After it dries then wipe the counter down with mineral oil or sometimes called "countertop oil". If you prefer you could use tung oil if you don't put too much on. If it did have mineral oil on the counter then there would likely be adhesion problems using tung oil.

Working lacquer thinner with steel wool it's very bad to drip. If you have a linoleum floor you might cover it in case you drip some thinner.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts

The top was likely done with mineral oil. First use just mineral oil and a rag, and wipe the affected area, and the surrounding area. I would not use lacquer thinner at first, or steel wool at all. You don't want to do any scoring of the wood.

Once dry apply some mineral oil to the area and let sit for about 10 minutes and wipe off. The next day re-apply mineral oil. If the top doesn't start to accept the mineral oil and looking uniform, then we go to plan "B".

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
A well oiled butcher block can be washed after use, as in cutting boards. Regular care and maintenance suggests that a soap and water cleaning will maintain a hygienic food preparation surface. Additional re-oiling is just a matter of wiping on, and off.

Having a sink installed would make maintenance of a film finish difficult. A film finish would be subject to abrasion, and the remaining exposed areas of missing film/scratches would subject untreated wood to moisture and bacteria.

Of course there is no real way of telling what the finish is by looking at a computer monitor. But, on my screen the finish looks a bit flat to be a film finish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts