Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate some input on which circular saw I should buy. I currently trying to decide between two saws. But if anyone has an opinion on a different saw, please share. I'll be doing a small amount framing and a fair amount of ripping. I'll be using this saw about 2-3 times a week. I'll be staying around the $160ish price range.

The two I'm looking at:

Milwaukee 6394-21 7-1/4"

and

Skil Skilsaw SHD77

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've seen a lot of good reviews for that SkilSaw worm drive circular saw.

Personally, I went with the PORTER-CABLE 120-Volt 7-1/4-in Corded Circular Saw
and have been very happy with it - LINK

·
Registered
95 Posts
I give a good thumbs up for either the MW or PC, as I have both. :thumbsup: The Skill wormdrive is a no-brainer thumbs up, but heavy.

Though I did overwork the PC and need to order some new brushes for it... Was cutting steel with a Freud Steel Demon blade, and cutting very well. Just that a 4 foot long cut in 1/2 steel plate is not something you should do in a single run. Should have stopped for cool downs during the cut. :cursing: The saw kept getting slower and slower, but by the time I could hear the difference with ear muffs on, the damage was done. About a 3 foot cut with a steady heavy load and no breaks. Finished the last 1 foot of cut with the MW. Use the MW all the time with my homemade guides to break down plywood sheets.

Mike "Dodis"

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have both the PC and the SHD77 along with a 4 1/2" skilsaw and a 3 1/2" craftsman.

I would start out with either the MW or the PC unless you're framing all day, and then I'd recommend the SHD77.

For everyday or occasional work, the SHD77 will wear you out due to its weight.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm cheap and own the skill saw. Replaced the blade right away and it's been sharp and cuts as good as I can. No complaints here.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have been looking at the Dewalt DWE575SB to use with my Eureka Zone track saw. This Dewalt has enough cutting depth when put on the track and saw base to cut through 1 1/2" (double layer of plywood) so I can cut exact matching pieces for cabinet sides. Cut two at once and your have dead matching pieces.

Thought about a 10 1/2" Milwaukee but at ~$450 too rich for me.

George

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
My skill 77 is 20 years old and has framed a few buildings.
Got a nice 24 tooth Tenryu on it now and use it for breaking down sheet goods with my shop made track saw.
It has not ever given me any trouble. And, I like the blade on the left. I'm a righty, so it's natural for me see the blade and cut.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I would buy a Skill Mag 77. Worm drive saws are the best balanced for one or two handed operation. Direct drive conventional circular saws seem awkward and most have the blade on the far side where you can't see it. I had the standard 77 before the mag and have been using them professionally for over four decades.

Bret

·
Sawdust Wrangler
482 Posts
I would buy a Skill Mag 77. Worm drive saws are the best balanced for one or two handed operation. Direct drive conventional circular saws seem awkward and most have the blade on the far side where you can't see it. I had the standard 77 before the mag and have been using them professionally for over four decades.

Bret
I second the magnesium version of the skill worm drive. That is the one I use everyday and it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. It's a bit heavy though but that has been a good thing more than a bad thing, for me.

Paul

·
Sawdust Wrangler
482 Posts
I built two of these for it out of a sheet of luan at HD. One 96" long and one 49" long. It's easy, cut a piece about 4" wide and glue and clamp it to a piece that is wider than your saw's plate and the 4" piece then, when you run the saw down the length it will create your cutting edge for you. just line up the cutting edge to your marks and you have a great rip saw as well.

Attachments

·
John
3,028 Posts
Last circular saw I bought, not counting my Makita track saw, was a 13 amp Milwaukee in about 1983. It's an old drop foot but never gave me a reason to shop for another saw. I will confess that I have never tested it out the way Dodis apparently does:eek::laughing:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up going with the Milwaukee 6390-21 I picked it up for $39 less than retail at my local farm supply. The Skil was out of stock and I think if was to buy the Skil it would have to be the magnesium model and that was more than my current budget, still have other tools to purchase (router, saber saw, planer, and table saw). I would like to thank everyone for their input. The Skil will be a future purchase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oak667 said:
I would appreciate some input on which circular saw I should buy. I currently trying to decide between two saws. But if anyone has an opinion on a different saw, please share. I'll be doing a small amount framing and a fair amount of ripping. I'll be using this saw about 2-3 times a week. I'll be staying around the $160ish price range.

The two I'm looking at:

Milwaukee 6394-21 7-1/4"

and

Skil Skilsaw SHD77

Thanks for your input!
I've been a General Contractor for 30 years. Would not own anything but a skill. I've beaten, work them hard

Every day. They r durable . I even drop one off the roof. Didn't faze it a bit.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I built two of these for it out of a sheet of luan at HD. One 96" long and one 49" long. It's easy, cut a piece about 4" wide and glue and clamp it to a piece that is wider than your saw's plate and the 4" piece then, when you run the saw down the length it will create your cutting edge for you. just line up the cutting edge to your marks and you have a great rip saw as well.
The one in this picture is close to 20 years old.

http://www.historic-house-restoration.com/images/ElamsHouse_Oct._2012_025.JPG

·
Sawdust Wrangler
482 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts