Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
What toolguy said, only look for used - $150 or so...... bench tops are ok for light hobby use, anything more a 14" is minimum. Grizzly is good. Quality blades are a must.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Bandsaws open up a whole new world when it comes to tuning - some art and some magic involved. Here's a good start:

And if you use it a lot, 14". Bigger is better!

·
where's my table saw?
31,293 Posts
check out Amazon's reviews

Is Rockwell a good brand?
Rockwell is no longer made, but has a good reputation.

Ridgid 14" bs1400 any good???
Amazon Reviews here:
http://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-BS1400...2XQ/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

A bandsaw is relatively simple, but requires a thorough and accurate setup. Tracking the blade, adjusting the guides and proper blade tension are the main issues.

Bearings usually last a long time and are easily replaceable with some mechanical knowledge.

Blade guides are hard to find if they are missing or broken, but not impossible. E Bay is a good source for older parts and new.

Belts and motors are basic machine parts and easily repairable or replaceable.

The brackets that hold the table in positioin, trunions are one of the weak links and should be checked for cracks. Do not move a bandsaw with the table in place, it may tip and crack off the trunnions.

The two types of bandsaws are a welded frame like the newert Craftsman, Grizzly, Rikon, and Lagunas OR cast iron frames like older Deltas, Grizzly, Jets. It doesn't really matter which type you have or buy, they are both good. A cast iron fram can be extended with a "riser block" for additional hight under the blade for resawing thick stock.

Blade guides are of two types, those that spin, like roller bearings or discs OR solid material like plastic, hardened steel, even hardwood.
They just keep the blade in place and are not meant to press against the sides of the blade with any force.

Grizzly has many videos on their specific machines and how to set them up:

·
where's my table saw?
31,293 Posts
just my opinion

I have both the 14" and 10" Craftsman saws. I like the 14", the 10" is just a "hobby" saw. I would get a 14" in almost any brand, Grizzly, Delata, Rockwell, Jet, even Harbor Freight saws can be workable.
A 1 HP motor would be great, but a 3/4HP will do.
A 14" will handle a 1/2" wide blade with no problems.
It all depends on what to are going to do now. and what you will be doing long term.
The craftsman 12" come in 2 variations, The good one is a welded steel frame, the others are cast aluminum and the blade tilts rather than the table. I'd stay away from those.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.