Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is mike new to the site. I am young and don't have much experience but I enjoy working with wood. I am a plumber and in my free time I enjoy working with wood, when Im not fishing or something. I havent been taught anything by anyone everything I have built I have just done with trial an error. I hope to eventually build some really nice stuff in the future. I have included a few things I have built. My next project is a dining table.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
So what kind of wood are you going to use for the dinning room table hope its not sticking F:censored: P:sick: , use oak or maple, there is plenty in your area there :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: an what you have done so far you are ready to try a better wood :laughing::laughing:

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Looks to me like you have a good start as you've shown some good work.

BTW what part of AR are you from? I'm in SW Missouri myself.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Welcome Mike.

It looks like you're off and running.

You've come to the right place. There's plenty of inspiration here and great folks eager to offer encouragement and suggestions.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't decided on wood yet for the table. Its for a gift so I don't want to spend too much money on it. Its going to be one of the higher tables and Im thinking 40 inches square. I am right outside of little rock in Benton. Most of the stuff I have built has been scrap from job site's. I only have the basic tools so far. I will be buying a table saw before I start the table. Most everything I have built I have made my miter saw work for me. Circular saw when it wouldnt. Any advice is always welcome

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I haven't decided on wood yet for the table. Its for a gift so I don't want to spend too much money on it. Its going to be one of the higher tables and Im thinking 40 inches square. I am right outside of little rock in Benton. Most of the stuff I have built has been scrap from job site's. I only have the basic tools so far. I will be buying a table saw before I start the table. Most everything I have built I have made my miter saw work for me. Circular saw when it wouldnt. Any advice is always welcome

Go throw some of the threads in the forum an ask away with questions :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Welcome!
Keep going! As you get more confident you won't mind using different woods. I don't use much pine anymore--but it was a good starting place. As Cougar said--ask away!!! (there are NO dumb questions)
Dave H

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The dresser is cedar except for the corners and the top on the coffee table is also cedar except for the end pieces. What is the problem with using pine that people have. Whats different and or better about other woods.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
The dresser is cedar except for the corners and the top on the coffee table is also cedar except for the end pieces. What is the problem with using pine that people have. Whats different and or better about other woods.

P:sick: is ok to learn with but when you make something to have stand out an get a lot more money for, look at hard woods. Below is a hope chest I made for a client he provided the Koa I just made the hope chest for him with a different look, I got payed $3800.00 for the labor an finish he also donated $2000.00 to the shiners a cause I support.
If I did this same hope chest out of P:sick: most I could get is if I'm lucky $300.00. That is the biggest difference an this is a hobby for me :laughing:

Attachments

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
You're off to a great start with your woodworking :thumbsup:

So what kind of wood are you going to use for the dinning room table hope its not sticking F:censored: P:sick: , use oak or maple, there is plenty in your area there :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: an what you have done so far you are ready to try a better wood :laughing::laughing:
Ignore the above-quoted post. Use whatever wood you like. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using pine. If fact, there are themes and styles that actually look best when made of pine.

I use some pine. I generally prefer other woods, such as walnut, maple, cedar and various colored exotics. But there are projects I've done that I wouldn't have wanted to do in any wood other than pine.

There is no "right" or "wrong" wood. They each have their place. And everyone has their own likes, dislikes and needs. In fact, I've seen plenty pine with a lot more character than many hardwoods.

Make what YOU like. And make it with the woods YOU like and have available to you.

Most of all: Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Couger that is some awesome grain in that chest. Is a biscuit jointer the proper way to connect boards like you did on the side of it? Glue and clamps ? How do you make them look and feel seemless

Thanks for the welcome Chaincarver. I havent bought much wood, Most of it is scrap I get of job sites that they just pile up ready to burn. I could probably build a house slowly with the amount they throw away.

I really have no intention of selling anything. I do it just because I like to do it and feel that I am off to a good start considering I only starting building about a year ago. The hardest part is making due with the tools that I have till I can afford to get something else that I want/need. I might make something so sell down the road but right now I just do it for fun. I have an abundance of people that take the stuff off my hands. lol

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Couger that is some awesome grain in that chest. Is a biscuit jointer the proper way to connect boards like you did on the side of it? Glue and clamps ? How do you make them look and feel seemless

Thanks for the welcome Chaincarver. I havent bought much wood, Most of it is scrap I get of job sites that they just pile up ready to burn. I could probably build a house slowly with the amount they throw away.

I really have no intention of selling anything. I do it just because I like to do it and feel that I am off to a good start considering I only starting building about a year ago. The hardest part is making due with the tools that I have till I can afford to get something else that I want/need. I might make something so sell down the road but right now I just do it for fun. I have an abundance of people that take the stuff off my hands. lol

NO biscuits in any of my joints I used an inside hidden spline in the center I cut the boars to give ma a good book match set (Book Match is cutting a board in half an opening it like a you would a book ) P:sick: is good to practice with an as you gain more experience then look for a better wood, as for tools I was in the same place as you an it takes time to get tools together look on craigs list you can find good tools on there at a good price an if you don't know if its the right tool ask the forum here we can help you :thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts