Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wandered in from contractortalk.com. I'm a landscaper by trade, but have really been getting into woodworking. Slowly accumulating tools and such.

Looking forward to talking with y'all and learning something along the way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm reaely interested in box making. And would eventually like to get a lathe and take a shot turning.

I made a custom pethouse for a cat as a Christmas gift, and am seriosuly considering the custom pet house market. Not the fancy mansion types, but decent type houses-not a couple sheets of plywood with a tin roof types stuff. i think I could do that in my spare time, and I may be in a good place for it. I'm a geographic outcast. We get a royal reaming on shipping things here (Hawaii-Kauai to be more specific).

I'd like to get some equipment to mill down some wood. I have access to more mango and Guava than i could ever use in a lifetime, and on occasion some fairly exotic woods.

Some trees I trim...the rings/grain....just fascinating.

I like to take advantage of some of this stuff and make boxes or other small woodcrafts. Simple stuff for the craft fairs to start with, and then when I know what I'm doing, hopefully some bigger gallery quality stuff., such as tables, chests, desks....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My tools so far-Dewalt router with fixed and plunge base, cheesy Ryobi router table and bit set, mid-range Craftsman table saw, Ryobi 10" compound miter saw, 13" Ryobi planer, Ryobi bandsaw (small-3.5" max cut height). Various drills and hand tools.

All pretty much entry level stuff, but I had to make sure my interest was going to hold before getting the good stuff.

I enjoy it enough and have been getting good enough that I think I'm ready to start upgrading my tools.

Oh yeah,I just got the Porter Cable 4212 Dovetail jig. Dovetails fascinate me to no end. So far, the only thing I've made with it is scrap. Guess that's what I get for only reading half the instructions

1 - 7 of 7 Posts