Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Vagabond
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My name is Matthew and I'm from Southern California. I've been searching for a creative outlet and I have always loved wood so I figured why not give it a try. Other than 1 basic wood shop class back in highschool (circa '97) I am total newb.

I am going to attempt to an M16 style buttstock.

first two pictures are diagrams and the third is sort of what i hope to accomplish, just the butt stock though.

Anyone have any tips or recommendations? I havent found any info on making the M16 or A1/A2 style butt stock so I am not sure of the steps, for example, should i drill the hole in the stock for the buffer tube (#1 in pic 1) first or after shaping the stock? Would laminated pieces work instead of a solid blank to start?

I ordered a plastic stock and a wood one so that i have something to use as a reference.

Thanks and I hope to learn and share what I create

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Welcome to this very friendly woodworking forum. I used to love in SoCal and have since moved to Washington.

For your buttstock, I'd drill the buffer tube hole first. It's much easier to lay it out and clamp your workpiece while it's still square.

Yes, You can laminate several pieces together to get the proper thickness.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts