Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I'll get right into it. I'm 19, my name is Zach. I've been helping my Grandfather and my Uncle with all their incredible woodworking projects since I was probably 8 years old, or even earlier. I know how to use tools, I know their names, I know how to do certain tasks, from something as basic as filling a gouge with wood putty to operating a table saw and making accurate measurements and cuts, you guys get the idea.

Anyway I just recently did a few small projects with my brother, and these were really the first woodworking projects I'd done without "adult" supervision, and since my Grandfather passed away about 7 years ago. So I discovered a new passion for it. I started building a very simple computer desk all on my own and I found this forum incredibly helpful when I was second guessing some stuff. It's like having my Grandfather here to consult any time I need him haha.

I'll be making a post in the appropriate section about the progress of my little computer desk/work desk and I'll come back here and post an edit with a link to the thread if anyone wants to see my first solo project.

I'm looking forward to hanging around here and fine tuning my skills to become at least half the craftsman my Grandfather was, and hopefully you all can help. Peace.

Here's the Computer Desk post

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
Welcome. Definitely use glue on the legs. Don't glue the top down though. The wood will move expand and contract over its width. The top should be fastened in a way that it can move, or it will likely crack on you. That's a pretty top I'd hate to see it crack on you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome. Definitely use glue on the legs. Don't glue the top down though. The wood will move expand and contract over its width. The top should be fastened in a way that it can move, or it will likely crack on you. That's a pretty top I'd hate to see it crack on you.
Thanks for the suggestions. I finally got my uncle to get out into the shop and work with me (he's in a wheel chair but he has always been the CAD person who designed all the projects my family has done and he's always been the project leader really, pretty amazing really)

Check the thread I started specifically about the table I'm gonna post an update right now. Pics of what I got done so far tomorrow :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts