Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Phil Lincoln and I live in Anchorage Alaska. I have been an avid woodworker since shop in high school. I have about an 850 sf. detached shop to work in. This summer I drove down to the states to haul back an enclosed trailer. I ended up bringing back some hard wood from Indiana to work with. The guy I bought my dried lumber from also let me pick through his piles. I ended up picking a bunch of really nice stuff, much of which had character. I enjoy working with wood that has character. Things like Spalding, pin knots and color variations. Anyway I also came across several 6” X 8” X 8’ solid oak beams locally that I had re-sawn recently and now have 98 five quarter boards to use up as well.

I am hoping to build a few things from the oak like a dining room table, coffee table and a liquor cabinet. I have two questions for you guys out there. One I am wondering what moisture content to use the red oak at and also looking for plans anyone might have or know of for a liquor cabinet.

I'm looking forward to the forum!
Phil

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Welcome to the board. You might want to break your questions off and ask them in the general discussion area. Me personally I like it down at 8 to 10 percent. It depends alot on the relative humidity of the area that you are going to keep it in. The biggest thing is don't let the relative humidity vary alot.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Great to have you here Phil.

One of our moderators on ContractorTalk.com and DIYChatroom.com is from Anchorage. I'll have to let him know your here. He's in the flooring biz.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Welcome Phil,

Great to have you. Lookin' forward to some Alsakan woodworking pictures......:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts