Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!! New member here. This looks like a great site!! Usually lurk for a while before joining, but ya'll looked homey and friendly right off the bat!!!:thumbsup:

Tried to post some pics, but files too big, so I'll figure out how to reduce them and get some in the gallery.

Don't have a lot of project pics, as I am just now getting back in my new shop. My shop was destroyed in Sept '05 by Katrina. But new shop is up and trying to get moved in and replace toys...er uh...tools;) I lost..

Hope to be a regular contributor soon.

BTW MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone!!!

Jimmy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Darryl.

I built a new shop from the trees that we lost to the storm. Lost 27 large pines. The one that destroyed my "old shop"(was only 2 yrs old:censored: ) is now the floor joists for my new one.:thumbsup:

I purchased a Turner 30" bandsaw mill and cut all the lumber for it.

It is 16x20 with 9' ceilings.

More later when I can get some pics posted

Jimmy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's a manual mill, so it's alot of work, but overall I'd buy it again.

I like not having to use any lube on the blade. Course, I've only cut up about 12k bf so far. All SYP. No gumming problems. The blade runs so cool that it just doesn't pick up any. The rubber tires make it that way.
I also only bought to cut for myself, so no problem with the little extra work.
The 24hp Honda is quiet. A fuel sipper too. It can handle a 20ft long log, 30in in diameter. 27 is big as I've tried.

Thanks for the welcome.

Jimmy

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Welcome Jimmy, from another sawmill guy, all manual too. Cool you could make lemonade from the mess Katrina left. (a bandmill has a way of doing that ;), like your own little lemonade stand) What joasis said about http://www.sawandtimber.com/ .
Yea we like pictures :thumbsup:.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts