Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I am new to this site and forum. I have a very specific question that I am hoping you all can help answer. I have a friend who is a real estate agent and he is selling a home that also has a woodworking shop on the property. Here's my question: Do you know of a good place to advertise this property since he feels it is for a specific kind of buyer?
Thank you for your time and I appreciate any leads!
:help:

·
Registered
12,991 Posts
Where (state, county, etc.) is this property located? What is the price range? How well equipped is the shop and overall size?

George

·
where's my table saw?
28,751 Posts
Yep, and ....

Where (state, county, etc.) is this property located? What is the price range? How well equipped is the shop and overall size?

George
If the shop is the main selling point, then a FULL description of size, flooring surfaces, 220 V wiring, access drives, heating or cooling, storage etc. is required....the house is insignficant. JMO

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I would argue that unless we're talking about a full on 100k dollar shop, the house still needs to be the main selling point. Back when I sold real estate, there was a house I had listed on the water that had a boat house, it was insisted that I picture the boat house first....I eventually sold the house, to someone with no boat, and no intention of buying one. They liked the style of the house and the lake view.

The wood shop should be detailed in the description, but the house should still be first. IMHO

·
where's my table saw?
28,751 Posts
housing is a very individual decision for some couples

I would argue that unless we're talking about a full on 100k dollar shop, the house still needs to be the main selling point. Back when I sold real estate, there was a house I had listed on the water that had a boat house, it was insisted that I picture the boat house first....I eventually sold the house, to someone with no boat, and no intention of buying one. They liked the style of the house and the lake view.

The wood shop should be detailed in the description, but the house should still be first. IMHO
Houses sell to different people/couples for entirely different reasons and in your case it probably was an anomoly and "they" both liked the house. and had no interest in boats.

For a man who wants a shop there are 2 choices... buy a house that has one, OR build one. The woman may or may not care depending if the garage "has to be" the shop and she who must be obeyed will have to park outside in inclement weather. :thumbdown:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I agree, but to market it as a shop with a house, rather than a house with a shop, is cutting out 90% of your potential customers. 100% of people need housing, 10% or less of the population I would argue are woodworkers (far less than 10% I'd guess)., and an even smaller percentage can or will spend additional money for an external shop. So I say it again, it should be marketed as a house with a shop. Now if he can get the agent to do ABOVE and beyond marketing great, but the main listing is what I'm talking about.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Homes Sell. Shops Are Just Space

+1. :yes: I would guess that there would be few interested in the shop and would settle for what's left as a house. It may matter if the shop part was an intention to be a business venture, kinda like an office in the home. A search done for homes with woodworking shops, not much comes up.

·
johnep
2,125 Posts
Here in the UK, houses are relatively small and land very expensive. I bought my house on two main points:
1) Study for me.
2) Double garage. (Single garage is the norm, unlike in US where triple garages are)
My wife liked the kitchen and utility room.
So, the men will like the shop, but the woman must like the house.
Advertise in woodworking mags for national coverage, local press as well.
johnep

·
Registered
75 Posts
When we were moving to a distant state, I was working there in advance of the move and looking at houses. I found a great "house" which was a bit dark and dingy, had 60's dark paneling, small rooms, and a less than nice kitchen. But, It did have a "garage." It was 6 large bays with three 14 ft. garage doors, a loft with 60 lb/sq. ft. load capacity, a crane and outside hoist to bring things into the garage loft through outside second floor doors, 3-ph 220v electric, and engine cranes inside the garage over the bays. It was owned by a family who were over the road truckers.

I was excited about this property and it was the first one I took my wife to when she came out for her house hunting trip. That house was eliminated straight out, no questions, move on...

I agree, sell the house with the shop.:no:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!

Hello,
Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate all the input, it has been very helpful! The shop really is a strong selling point of this property and I think that is how we will initally market it. We will keep trying until we find something that works! Advertising in national publications is very pricey, that is what drew me to this forum. It is a unique opportunity to gather information and insight that will lead us in the right direction!
Here is some information for those of you who may be interested or know of someone who is.
The shop is 2840 square feet, temperature controlled, separate utilities, office & workroom. Equipment is negotiable.
Home is 3BR, 3Full BA on 3.5 acres in the Gettysburg, PA area.

http://www.visualtour.com/show.asp?T=3122035

Shop.jpg

Shop Interior 1.jpg

Shop Interior 2.jpg

Shop Workroom.jpg

Again, thank you all who took the time to offer your two cents!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts