Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, this is my first post. Just want to say I have a mill and will be looking for other mill owner posts and expiriences. I work with mesquite mostly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks woodman42. I'm from Texas also but on the other side of the country. Are you near Houston? I been through there and seen some huge trees with what looked like cobbwebs all over them. You know what those are?

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Are you near Houston? I been through there and seen some huge trees with what looked like cobbwebs all over them. You know what those are?
Does Spanish moss grow in your area ? I know you are not asking me, but I would say live oak with Spanish moss on them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_moss
Nothing like that grows up here, too cold (a whopping 2 degrees today, windchill -20)

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Darren thats them, I would love to rent a motel a few days and maybe nail one those. I think I'll need a crew. Are they good for wood or are they a hardwood.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
are they a hardwood.
Yea buddy, plenty hard...and heavy .Dry southern live oak lumber has a specific gravity of 0.88, the highest of any North American hardwood.

Since I live up north I have never milled any, but from what I have read it does like to warp and twist while drying. So I would cut it thick and resaw after some air drying if you want 4/4". Maybe someone who has milled it could give better advice, that is just what I do with hard to tame wood (like sweet gum, persimmon...)

Trivia:The live oak side planks of USS Constitution repelled the cannon shot of HMS Guerriere so effectively that one of her sailors was heard to shout, "Huzzah! Her sides are made of iron!" The ship was given the nickname, "Old Ironsides".

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the history info Darren. Southern live oak is plentiful here, super heavy though. Think I'll make me a tall fence/gate with that wood. Since my home is looking like a millyard....surly dont want the city visiting or any strangers/imbisills with sticky hands.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If I lived in Wisconsin wouldnt need a fence but naaaaaa, cant mill snow or make house with it. Or can ya.

Ebony makes exellent tools. Hand-plane etc........lol

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Dry southern live oak lumber has a specific gravity of 0.88, the highest of any North American hardwood.
I guess I went overboard, I did some checking. It's not the densest, but it's right up there. Hollyleaf Cherry: 0.98 and Engelmann Oak: 0.94 are more dense. I quoted Wikipedia on it being the densest, should have known better, only about 1/2 that stuff is accurate.

But since you are probably familiar with these 2 species, Osage Orange: 0.77 and Mesquite: 0.77 it's safe to say live oak is pretty dense if it is heavier than those 2.

Specific gravity is measured oddly enough against water (water being the unit 1) so if somethings specific gravity is greater or less than 1 it is heavier or lighter. So some woods don't float, their specific gravity is more than 1, or they weigh more than water and cannot be supported by it. Desert Ironwood: 1.15, Lignum Vitae: 1.37, Ebony: 1.12...would all sink like stones.

You said Ebony would make good planes (and it would, maybe we can talk) sounds like it would make good fishing weights too :laughing:.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
So Live Oak is an evergreen oak tree that is not as dormant during the winter as "reg." oak?
From my reading yes, in the warmer/wetter climates (maybe not Texas though, too dry?). I remember them from Florida when I was a kid . My Dad was a pipefitter/welder and we moved down and he worked building Disney for a couple years and all the Spanish moss. That was the first thing that popped into my head when he said "cobwebs".

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Theres Velvet Mesquite, Honey Mesquite and screwbean Mesquite here.
Northern Texas has, I think, Black Mesquite. Theres really not much difference, I know the Velvet is denser though, ideal for rockers, canes, etc. The honey has a slightly redish'r tone....the wood, for trunks boxes dressers etc.

I was inspecting a live oak today, humungus, I dont think anyone would give it to me or let me cut it down. I probably wouldnt through my own free will. Magnificant tree.

On rare occasions Magnifacnce get bulldozed too though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts