Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live 4 miles from Otley which was the birthplace of Thomas Chippendale. The house he was born in is now a teashop called Cobblestones. There is a large statue of him in the centre of Otley. Any similarity between him and I is purely geographical. The woodworker who has had the biggest and long lasting impression on me is James Krenov. I have all his books and refer to them whenever I think "how would James Krenov do that". I try to work in hardwoods only and as my love and hobby does not have to earn me any money I prefer to always use hand tools, about 50% of which are English made and old. England no longer has the fine hand tool tradition which it used to have, in fact I live less than an hour from Sheffield, a city once renowned for the quality of it's steel and tools. Most of my newer hand tools are imported mainly from the USA. Companies like Lie Neilsen planes stand above my bench. The picture used on my posting is a Norris No7 shoulder plane with Rosewood infill, possibly Londons finest.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to jump in and contribute. Looking forward to learning more about the use of hand tools. I have a pretty good collection which were handed down to me but I must admit, I use the electric ones more often than not.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welcome to the board! I like the hand tools, but am a gadget kind of guy. I do collect older hand tools and will someday get them organized in a cabinet. Right now most of them aren't in good condition and need some TLC, so storing them until I get time to clean them up and tune them.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Welcome. I would really like to see some of your planes. I am a big handtool fan, can't afford the ones I want yet but am always looking and trying to learn. The photo gallery is easy to use, if you would, post some pictures. Not all of us are as impressed with the "latest,greatest powertool" as a real woodworking tool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome! When I see "Yorkshire" I always think of James Herriot books...looking forward to your posts.
You should understand that James Herriot books were written by and about a vet residing in North Yorkshire, in fact close to The North York Moors. I, on the other hand live in West Yorkshire, or as the area used to be known The West Riding of Yorkshire. The area I live is centred on Bradford, one time capital of the wool industry and cradle of the Industrial Revolution.

Returning to North Yorkshire, or as it used to be refered to, The North Riding of Yorkshire, you might be interested to visit the Robert Thompson Site http://www.goFwww.robertthompsons.co.uk/visitor-centre

·
Registered
146 Posts
I live 4 miles from Otley which was the birthplace of Thomas Chippendale. The house he was born in is now a teashop called Cobblestones. There is a large statue of him in the centre of Otley. Any similarity between him and I is purely geographical. The woodworker who has had the biggest and long lasting impression on me is James Krenov. I have all his books and refer to them whenever I think "how would James Krenov do that". I try to work in hardwoods only and as my love and hobby does not have to earn me any money I prefer to always use hand tools, about 50% of which are English made and old. England no longer has the fine hand tool tradition which it used to have, in fact I live less than an hour from Sheffield, a city once renowned for the quality of it's steel and tools. Most of my newer hand tools are imported mainly from the USA. Companies like Lie Neilsen planes stand above my bench. The picture used on my posting is a Norris No7 shoulder plane with Rosewood infill, possibly Londons finest.
That is one nice looking plane you posted. I have wished a thousand times I had bought up some of the old hand tools that I have seen at junk stores and auctions, but who would have thought they would ever have gotten so scarce? Thanks fir showing it and welcome. I do have one question to ask. A friend spent quite some time in England in the oil and gas business and one day I mentioned that I figured there would be lots of big old trees in the Sherwood Forest and he started laughing because he said he was in the "forest" and only saw one tree. Is that right?

·
Hickabilly
536 Posts
Hello Kenneth. Welcome to the mob. I am trying to "cut the cord"...really interested in hand tools and techniques. I look forward to seeing your input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts