Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

I have been looking through the posts on this site tonight as a guest and decided to join and say hello. I took a Woodworking class at the University of Memphis a couple years back and fell in love with woodworking as a great hobby. Since then I have made a few pieces of furniture for our house and for my daughter's house.

I am always on the lookout for wood deals, because the only place in the Memphis area w/hardwoods is Colco Fine Woods which has a great variety, but they are pricey. Anyone know of other places to purchase a variety of hardwoods in W. TN???

Dave

·
Registered
266 Posts
Dave, you've hit one of my hot buttons!!

I'm originally from Union City and my parents and sister are still there. When hubby and I go back for visits about twice a year, we always check out Hanafee Brothers Sawmill and Storey Sawmill and Lumber Yard in Troy. They are about 3 blocks apart, right along US51 through the middle of town, and their prices are right!! If you go to Hanafee, talk to Don and tell him that the Lairds sent you. When we were there in late August, we bought 4/4 FAS red oak for $1.00 bd/ft and 4/4 FAS hard maple for $2.05 bd/ft. Also, Don was nice enough to let me pick through his kiln-dry-check 2' cutoffs and I got lots of nice walnut, cherry, birch, and sassfras pieces---for nothing. Those are the pieces that they cut off while a batch is in the kiln to check for moisture content--they cut off the 2' pieces, then just stack them up. They offered them to the local high school for their woodshop program, and the school wouldn't take them unless Don would deliver them!!! So he was going to put them out for people to take for firewood!!! I have a stack of 2' cutoffs that now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them, but I'll be darned if they'll get burned!

It's worth the drive to Troy just to see all the eye candy they have there.

BTW, welcome to our little corner of woodworking heaven.

Nancy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nancy,

Just saw the prices on your post!!!! Wow!! the prices are right!! Thanks again!!

Dave

BTW, welcome to our little corner of woodworking heaven.

Nancy[/QUOTE]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts