Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Noob
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Aaron and i am an alcoh...whoops wrong forum. In all semi-seriousness, I am a complete newb at this wood working. I was an active Marine from 1996-2004 as an 0311 (grunt). When I got out I was hired by one of the local Fire Departments and have been a firefighter since. I am a special operations firefighter so among other things we work with lumber for structural collapses. In my civilian life, I have only done frame work. I bought a fixer upper of a house and had to replace a load bearing wall due to water damage. The gutters were ripped off by the La plata tornado and the idiot homeowners never replaced them so the wall was useless. I also remodeled a kitchen and a bathroom, with help. The cabinets were, eeeeek!, big box store pre assembled ones. I have done other basic stuff such as replacing all the windows and doors and trimming them as well as new baseboard. Carpentry has always peaked my interest but I don't seem to have much time to fiddle with it. Over the years, I have bought some tools. I have a drill, two circular saws (one worm drive), two jig saws, a 12" compound miter, reciprocating saw, a random orbital sander, and a sheet sander. I took up the hobby of aquarist and was horrified at the stands for the tanks that big box stores offered. So my first project will be two stands for fish tanks. One for a 48 gallon tank, and the other for a 65 gallon. I also need to sand, stain, and finish our dining room table but that can wait, hehe. Next I would like to build a rolling kitchen cart with a homemade cutting board. And to practice for me building my own house in a few years, I am going to take out a load bearing wall and try my hand at building cabinets. So I need some more tools. I have always been the type to buy quality products. Not the best but better than average. I believe in spending more money up front than to buy something multiple times. I look forward to gaining knowledge and wisdom from the members here in the future. Sorry for the long intro. Stay safe.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome!

·
Cedar Box Maker
165 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Very cool. I was just at the AA Co FD grad ceremony for new firefighters on Friday. I am a photographer at The Capital newspaper and shoot pics all the time of you guys doing your thing. I have known Chief Cox and Chief Shoals for a long time. They were both Public Info Officers and always helped me when doing my job. Chief Cox even got me my own fire helmet last year when I was late to a press training event at the academy. He dropped it off at the paper and I was extremely grateful. I had always wanted a real fire helmet since I was a kid and when I found out all the other press people got them to keep after the event I was sad. He hooked me up though when he found out. Great guy.

·
Noob
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice. We are the "special ops"/"technical rescue" station. You probably know Lt Keith Hamilton. He is a PIO. He is assigned to my station as well. Not sure if you have any kids but if you do you should bring them by for a tour sometime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts