Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I don’t know why I didn’t see this introduction section earlier. I was searching Google and stumbled upon this site. When I’m working on something I tend to get tunnel vision and miss stuff.
I’m almost 60 and I’m currently a Power Systems Technician by profession. I was an apprentice carpenter before Vietnam but decided to take advantage of the GI Bill when I got out of the Army and went to college. I’ve been dabbling in woodworking all my life, well since I discovered my dad’s complete workshop in our basement at 7yrs old. :icon_cheesygrin:
My 1st project was a plywood jeep that I made while my dad was at work. I nearly cut my thumb off on his band saw and in my haste to conceal my injury, I left a big mess scattered all over the floor which my dad could not miss. My dad had a fit because I used some expensive plywood that he bought for a customer, but said my jeep looked pretty good. Well it was supposed to be a racecar, but after he said it was a jeep, I decided that was what it was. I never told him about the thumb. :thumbsup:
My shop is mostly on wheels and consists of a Table Saw, Band Saw, Belt/Disc Sander, Router Table, Mitersaw and a Drill Press that doubles as a Mortiser. I had a 12” Radial Saw and a 6” Jointer but had to sell them many years ago during rough times. I have to wheel everything outside when I want to build something, so I don't do much during the winter except maybe at Christmas.;)

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Sleeper,
Welcome to the forum. What do you mean you don't do much in the winter because of the weather?:laughing: We are talking southern California, right? How cold does it get there? I'll gladly trade you the winter months.:icon_cool: Well anyway, what's first up on the project list?
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sleeper,
Welcome to the forum. What do you mean you don't do much in the winter because of the weather?:laughing: We are talking southern California, right? How cold does it get there? I'll gladly trade you the winter months.:icon_cool: Well anyway, what's first up on the project list?
Mike Hawkins;)
Well, I’m up in the mountains. It gets down in the 30’s and we do get a little snow here. Not as much as you get in Cleveland, but a little. I’m just spoiled I guess, I don’t like wearing coats when I work. :shifty:
I just spent a couple of weeks in Lorain, OH during February and it was snowing pretty good when I got off the plane. It was also snowing when I was leaving and all I could think about as I was looking at 2” of snow on the wings of the plane was that plane crash a few weeks before.:eek:
Right now I’m designing a hobby cabinet out of Red Oak to go in my living room. I want a large table that I can layout drawings or anything else that fancies me and be able fold it up without hauling it out to the garage. I have a lot of red oak in my stairs and want everything to match. I’m not much of a interior designer and don’t know what looks good, so I think if I stay with oak I’ll be alright. I’m planning on a large table that rotates into a vertical position so as to not take up space when not in use, but also not be too high when closed. I also have a fold up doors so that it will not look like anything else but an oak cabinet. I’m still in the design stage right now trying balance between light and strong.:confused1:

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Ok Sleeper,
I take it back. Didn't think it got that cold where you were at. I give you credit for getting on the plane during a snowstorm. I probably wouldn't. Don't forget to post some pics of your hobby cabinet. Lorain is about 45 minutes west of where I am at. Weather is about the same.
Mike Hawkins;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts