Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm from San Diego and kind of new to wood working in general.

I started mainly because I've started painting again ( watercolors ), and some of the artistic tools ( like a french easel ) run a few hundred dollars, so by necessity I am buying pieces of wood and crafting them into the various tools, boxes and holders for paints and canvases. I don't really have a budget for any of this, so if it takes more time and no money, then I can probably do it.

I am looking at getting proper tools, everything I've done so far has been largely done with a mitre saw, and with Ryobi One+ hand tools ( circular saw, speed saw, mouse sander, drill, jig saw ). I actually am relying more on a chisel for shaping the wood, and using lots of glue for everything, but having a lot of trouble with precision, and some of the things I am doing would just be safer with a table saw I think.

I am hoping to get a cheap table saw and a router ( most likely the cheapest ryobi, even though I think I might go for the M12V just due to it's noise, and probably replacing those later on ). I actually didn't think I could do any of this a few months ago, but I made what is called a art horse which came out very well, and since then I've been designing a portable toolbox for my art supplies and having quite a bit of success.

I am hoping to set up a combination router/table saw table for my garage. I also am looking at making a table for a mat cutter, and a plain table just for stretching paper and stapling it to frames. Thinking if I do them all the same height and relative size ( like 3x3' ) and on wheels, it would let me use some for feed tables. I was going to try to do one of the various contraptions to do a router lift ( which is another reason I like the M12V ). My goal is to have a combination wood working and artist studio, with wheels so I can move the sawing outside away from the art if needed.

The other thing I am doing in carpentry is designing wooden frames, and unlike other artists stretching over this watercolor paper instead of canvas. I am trying to get the frame as light as possible ( trying 1/4" dowels ) but also sturdy enough to last. I also need to keep this archival so researching acidity and the like. I am hoping to get the tablesaw, and then set up various jigs and clamps to make this a lot easier. I am thinking I can make my own dowels with a saw, perhaps a little thicker, and they'd be a lot cheaper.

Attached is a palette and behind it, a rough prototype for my pochade box I built. This is something I am still designing soas to get it lighter, and I put this together with really cheap wood ( its just furring strips ) mainly to prove I can make it.

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts