Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Paris, France! I'm a weekend woodworker; very amateur but with a thirst for woodworking knowledge!

Registered
Welcome, lots of information here. Good advice whether its woodworking or finishing. Would be interested in knowing what types of wood are popular where you are.
Brian

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome, lots of information here. Good advice whether its woodworking or finishing. Would be interested in knowing what types of wood are popular where you are.
Brian
Thanks for the welcome! I'm looking forward to learning a lot!
Well, as a budget woodworker, never sure if I'm going to completely ruin a piece before I start with it, I normally buy offcuts from either Castorama or Leroy Merlin, which are chains of hardware stores we've got over here. There's a lot of pine, obviously, also birch, beech, spruce, fir, oak. A real, ie pro woodworker probably uses much cooler local woods. Perhaps I'm not the best person to ask, as I think the woods I mention are pretty common in most places. But there its is.
Over here, often people bring out old furniture and just leave it on the sidewalk for someone else to take. You can find interesting stuff there. Normally you just find particleboard with melamine... but sometimes you come across some old, motheaten oak beams you could salvage if your wife allowed you to bring home dirty stuff you find in the street... 馃槃

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome! I've visited your city many times over the past ~15 yrs and loved it each time. :)
Thanks for the welcome! It is a lovely city; more stonework than woodwork, but still lovely! :)

Registered
Bienvenu 脿 WoodworkingTalk! I agree that Paris is a lovely city. We will always remember one special visit to Paris - on our honeymoon. We believe it is the most romantic city in the world, n'est-ce pas?

If you keep improving your skills, there may be a special woodworking opportunity for you at a cathedral near you in the years ahead. The world cried when we saw what happened. Us too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Bienvenu 脿 WoodworkingTalk! I agree that Paris is a lovely city. We will always remember one special visit to Paris - on our honeymoon. We believe it is the most romantic city in the world, n'est-ce pas?

If you keep improving your skills, there may be a special woodworking opportunity for you at a cathedral near you in the years ahead. The world cried when we saw what happened. Us too.
Merci pour l'accueil! (Thanks for the welcome.)

About it being the most romantic city, I partly agree: I think it's definitely between Paris and Venice, and the choice of which probably depends on the one you chose for you honeymoon! 馃槃

About Notre Dame: That was one of the saddest things! :( I think they'll be needing much more than just experienced woodworkers to get it back to being what it used to be, as unfortunately we've managed to get to where there are no trees in France (at least) tall enough to make beams for its roof like the beams that burnt down. 900 hundred years ago, when it was built, we had trees that were 300 years old; now they're unfortunately very rare, and protected, as they should.

But, at any rate, I wouldn't trust myself to make a joint that wouldn't cause the entire roof to cave in! 馃槃 But thanks very much for the vote of confidence, @Tool Agnostic!

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I just wanted to say, without exaggerating, that his is the friendliest forum I've ever encountered online! And I'm signed up to forums for just about everything... from gardening to electronics, from coding to photography, you name it. And it seems it's also one of the most helpful, as I can't remember when the last time was I asked a noob question and not only got several replies (and fast), but none snarky, all helpful and full of recommendations! I'm very glad I found this forum! 馃憦

Registered
Merci pour l'accueil! (Thanks for the welcome.)

About it being the most romantic city, I partly agree: I think it's definitely between Paris and Venice, and the choice of which probably depends on the one you chose for you honeymoon! 馃槃
[...]
We also went to Venice on our honeymoon. It was very nice, but not like Paris!

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
We also went to Venice on our honeymoon. It was very nice, but not like Paris!
Well, there you go: you guys are in a good position to decide which is the more romantic city! 馃挊
I guess living in a place, paying bills there, taxes, and having to use the m茅tro system during rush-hour when you just want to get back home!... always strips away a bit of the shiny finish (馃槈 woodworking pun!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts