Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I live in Paradise USA, also called Key Largo, Fl. I am joined by my sweetie, my son and three cats. I consider myself semi-retired and own a similar forum dedicated to Scuba: www.ScubaBoard.com. I am also a Scuba Instructor as well as a Scuba Instructor evaluator.

I worked my way through college in UF's Chemistry Machine Shop and worked most of my life in the automotive field. However, I have always had wood tools and enjoy making things as I need them. As my projects get finer, I realize that I don't know enough about the tools I am working with. I'll be starting a thread about how close is acceptable if I don't find one.

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is close acceptable when scuba diving? Lol sorry had to, I know I am evil :)
There's an observation that deco theory ls like measuring with a micrometer, marking with chalk and then cutting with an axe. We deal in SWAGs: Scientific Wild Arsed Guesses.

On a metal lathe, I can get within 0.001" quite easily. I just checked the variance of my saw blade from the front to rear and got between 0.001" and 0.002". When I did the same on my fence, I got a 0.005" variation. Wood seems to be more forgiving than brass or aluminum (unless we are welding them), so I don't want to beat myself up trying to be overly precise. Frankly, if you can point me to any thread on setting up/tuning cut off and table saws, that would be helpful. I am also keen on building a solid woodworking bench. You guys probably have a favorite thread on both of these topics, so please steer me in the right direction. :D

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

Reactions: NetDoc

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Hunter said:
I always thought that Paradise was in Texas! Welcome to the forum.

Hunter
Hot..dry and having to listen to Rick perry....doesn't seem like paradise to me. Lol....and no my dislike for Rick perry does not give away my political leanings

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
NetDoc said:
Hello all,
. I'll be starting a thread about how close is acceptable if I don't find one.

An interesting concept....there was a mini debate about that on here the other day. My thoughts..as even NASA had a tolerance level for the items going into space, looking for perfect isn't realistic.

So for 5 bucks or so...I can buy a cheap handsaw that will get me within .125 or so (I'm not real patient with a handsaw)

For 200 bucks, I can get a cheap table saw with a junk fence that will get me within .0625 pretty repeatably (with regular use of a tape measure)

For 1000 bucks, I can get a decent hybrid saw with a t-square fence and get to .005 pretty easily ( gunna also need a better measuring device....caliper works for me on cuts under 6 inch)

But here's the thing....to position a fence past that 6 inches...I resort to a steel rule which I feel can get me to .01 or so....

It becomes exceedingly more expensive to cut (or machine) things with smaller and smaller tolerances. Especially on wood tools where internal stresses in wood can distort wood considerably. I've never had a piece of steel I was machining on a mill tighten down on a bit the way cutting wood can. Your ability to cut wood repeatably goes way up if your working synthetic stabilized products like MDF or plywood. But even then, make a cut, move the fence and reset it to the same place, and your guaranteed to have a slightly different sized piece. Now that difference may be .01, or .001, or .0000001.....but it is different. If your looking for tolerances of .0001, it's probably best to go back to the metal shop. I your good with tolerances of .005....wood working isn't too tough.

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
My sig line says it all: Just another day in paradise! Here are some pics from my paradise:

Anne's Beach (one of a few here in the Keys)

Key Dear

Can you guess why this Gumbo Limbo is nicknamed the Tourist Tree?

Touchdown Jesus aka The Christ of the Abyss, The diving is just awesome!

Part of my 24ft work bench. I decided that this reg repair area was too close to metal working, so it has been relocated about fifteen foot to the left.

I love where I live. It's a 1600 ft2 house on stilts, which means that I have a 1200 ft2 enclosed shop below me. I call it NetDoc's Grotto and try to keep it compartmentalized. One corner is devoted to metal work and tool storage. One corner is devoted to a Scuba repair bench. The third is devoted to wood and wood tools (Ryobi Table Saw and Delta Cut Off saw). I want to create an 8ft woodworking bench to go between my tool boxes (in the center) and the wall bench.

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang you had to show the pic of the fawn now I am hungry
That's not a fawn, but a full grown Key Deer. While I am sure that they are tasty, they are protected and rarely get over 70 pounds. Think tiny.

However, we do have a plethora of yummy Spiny Lobster, Yellowtail Snapper and Hogfish. The season on Spiny Lobster opened just today!

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Gotspiccoli said:
Dang you had to show the pic of the fawn now I am hungry
I don't think that's a fawn...I think it's a key deer. If I recall the keys are the only place those deer live

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Welcome from the northern paradise of the Rocky Mountains. National Park scenery and wildlife without the crowds and the prices. Home to 450HP high-marking, NOX-breathing crotch-rockets.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's not a fawn, but a full grown Key Deer. While I am sure that they are tasty, they are protected and rarely get over 70 pounds. Think tiny.

However, we do have a plethora of yummy Spiny Lobster, Yellowtail Snapper and Hogfish. The season on Spiny Lobster opened just today!
Holy cow that is a tiny deer! Where i live the deer are as tall as I am and they are EVERYWHERE. No joke they run in herds of 30 around my neighborhood. I believe in the Native American approach to sustinance so I use every bit of what I get to do something with. I even ground the bones for fertilizer.

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This week I am diving with Diveheart. Here's a video from earlier in the year:

Here's another video, it says it's from yesterday, but I don't recognize the divers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts