Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Welcome Tony, nice size shop your putting togeather,"Congrats". As for tips well I bet you are going to get a zillion tips here.
1st- I will start the ball rolling by saying "SAFETY IS YOUR #1 GOAL" so when your setting up keep this in mind all the time. Setting up machines to close to each other can be a real safety hazard, where protective gear all the time.
2nd- Should be everyones number 1 or 2 on there list even if its only a mask ( at least 1 micron double filter). A collector is almost a must these days so read up on this.
3rd- Keep your blades sharp, useing dull blades is real dangerous not to mention your workmanship will be much nicer.
I could keep going here but its time for the other users to kick in.
PS By the way are you new to woodworking or ???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yes Sir. I am new. I inherited all of Dads tools 2 1/2 years ago and am finally going to do something with them.
He built furniture for a hobby, there is all kinds of tools and attachments that I have to figure out how to use.
I know that I want to put them on a dust collection system just don't know which one yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess I need to do my profile thing.
I am in Newkirk, Oklahoma.
I have 4 kids, 1 in College at NEO in Miami Oklahoma and 3 in middle school. They are my main hobby.
I have the first girl to ever wrestle for our school, she dreams of going to the Olympics.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
she dreams of going to the Olympics.
I would not say that was too far fetched if she keeps it up, killer youtube video Tony (music and all, I cranked it up) . Daddies little girl is kickin' butt and takin' names :thumbsup:. I used to wrestle, I could see the desperate look on some of those boys she threw/pinned faces "Holy smokes, I am getting whipped by a girl and I can't do anything about it" :laughing: Welcome.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
. Do you have any pics of your shop setup?
I could take some, but my shop situation and yours are a little different. Sounds like you are going to have a nice sized shop. I am limited for space at the moment, and have had to get creative (many things on wheels) the bulk of my woodworking tools are in a car garage, sometimes bigger projects spill outside. I have a "small turnings shop" in the basement with dust collection.
I have a 40'x40' pole barn that I have threatened to make better use of, but it is full of lumber/sawmill/skid steer...in a perfect world I would have a nice, well organized shop. In the real world I have stuff strewn everywhere, but I make it work

I am actually looking for another place here in town for me and my "toys". My wife is so proud when she comes home and there is a semi in the yard after a big rain and I am tearing ruts in the muddy lawn with the tractor unloading logs :glare:. If I could move the sawmill to another location that would really free me up on space.

You said you inherited your Dads tools and there are some you have not yet figured out. That is what we are here for, show us some pictures. I am personally and old tool fan. daryl gave some good advice, think safety. Figure out where you are going to put the first aid kit and fire extinguishers first. And if they are not sharp, get those old tools tuned up and sharpened. Think about good lighting too, it is a safety thing as well as just being a big help for better finished projects.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Wow she is awesome! You hear people say sometimes "Hey that girl has beauty and brains!" But how often do you hear someone say "That girl has beauty, brains, and brawn!"

We have 5. 3 girls 2 boys. I can relate. :icon_smile:

Welcome to the forum. Got any cedar trees on your place?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts