Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hacker of wood
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I started a small marine electrical business. This year I started setting up a shop. It seems I'm always fabricating something to mount stuff in or to cover old holes. Amazing how a chop saw and small table saw have improved my work. There is a lot for me to learn. I have always enjoyed making things for myself and now the amount I can charge does depend on the quality of the finished product. Reading through some of these post has been great for me.

Tom

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Hi Tom. Glad you found us. Land lubber here, but my brother does not have a house. He lives aboard this old 50' Hatteras. He lives/works near Tampa Fla. in a marina. He does teak work and repair on old sail boats and motor yachts.
Your work sounds interesting to a land locked guy like myself. Don't be shy.

Attachments

·
Hacker of wood
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome guys. Daren, your brothers boat at least looks like a boat. I'm not fond of the looks on the newer ones.

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Tom. Glad you found us. Land lubber here, but my brother does not have a house. He lives aboard this old 50' Hatteras. He lives/works near Tampa Fla. in a marina. He does teak work and repair on old sail boats and motor yachts.
Your work sounds interesting to a land locked guy like myself. Don't be shy.
The difference is a 50' Hatteras costs more than most houses:thumbsup:

·
Hacker of wood
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you get up into that size boat a valve job is $15,000, an engine rebuild is close to $30,000. The cost of owning and maintaining a boat like that is very high if you're handy. If you need to higher for all of the small jobs cost are mind boggling. There's a lot of wood on a boat like that and no room for a shop.

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts