Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this site while looking for advice on a drill press purchase over the summer, and I've been lurking here occasionally and learning a lot.

I'm a 37 year old full time IT guy who is just plain tired of cubicle life. I live for my weekend projects. I'm kind of a "Jack of all trades, master of none" type of guy. My grandpa and father taught me all I know about plumbing, electrical, cars, and carpentry, and also instilled in me the virtue of never paying someone else to do something you can do yourself. So, over the years I've become a somewhat handy guy with a decent set of tools. My job drains the life out of me, and I dream of owning a shop someday and spending my days crafting things from wood. This is a long term plan, but ya gotta start somewhere, right?

So... My very supportive wife has agreed to let me begin exploring this as a real opportunity. I've found some great local hardwood suppliers and picked up a few new tools (got a new jigsaw yesterday) and I have a head full of ideas. Man, it would be great to wake up everyday and create real, tangible, functional and beautiful things instead of staring at a screen all day.

That's why I'm here, looking to share with others who have similar passions. Woodworking may never turn into a viable full time career for me, but at least I can keep living for the weekends for now, and continue to develop my skills. I look forward to participating in your community here.

Dean

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a Kenosha neighbor. If you can develop a way to economically produce and reproduce any item that is not totally saturated in the market, you may have a good start at changing your living. The overhead of selling small items (small enough to easily ship anywhere) on a basic web site can be less than $100 a month. It's a good way to test the water with a minimal of loss should it bomb. Worse case your out a minimal investment. Enjoy the great company of the forum.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone! I decided that I won't get much done over the winter in my unheated and uninsulated old garage, so I picked up a bunch of 2x6s, 2x4s, and a nice solid core slab door and slapped together a quick workbench in my basement over the weekend. Moved my saw table and other tools down there. I ordered a router from Grizzly. I've wanted one for years. Can't wait to start practicing joinery on scraps and experimenting with finishing techniques.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts