Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just want to take a second to say hello.

I'm a commercial diver and have recently started getting in to woodworking again. I used to do some with my stepdad in his 2 car garage that he had taken over. I just recently bought a house and decided I would get back in to as a hobby and maybe to make some furniture and little projects around the house.

My first project was a wine rack out made out of cherry for my girlfriend

image-2239760482.jpg

While it was very fun and I learned a lot, it was also very frustrating due to the fact that at the time I was doing every thing in the back yard at my old house, (shop was a 4x4 closet to store tools in) and I was using a skilsaw to cut every thing and apparently I can not cut a straight line with a skilsaw. Everything had to be hand planed to get it back to straight after I cut it.

So we got the new house, got engaged and she got me a table saw as and engagement present :thumbsup:. That is when I found this forum we picked the Rigid r4512 based on a lot of review and comments on here as well as the fact that it looks the closest to what I used as a kid.

So now I am in the new house with the huge 12 x 20 shop attached and I'm loving it I built a pegboard tool rack I saw in a recent issues of "The Family Handyman". Finally getting some semblance of order in my shop. I'm working on a dart board cabinet at the moment, it's kinda of a jumble of woods, the back came from a pallet I ripped apart. The sides from some old deck boarding we pulled out and the doors will be from left over cherry and cherry ply from the wine rack build. I have been cruising the forums looking for hints on finishing as that will be my next step once I finish sanding the doors down.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I look forward to meeting y'all and learning what y'all can teach me.

~Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw a variation of this system that I was thinking about using. I haven't done much research or looked at it closely yet, but it seemed like you would rip a 2 x 6 at a 45 then mount one half on the wall and the other half would then be attached to whatever you wanted to hang. It looked interesting and as I still have some wall space and am looking for a place to hang clamps I might give that a shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Lafayette now. Moved down here from Everett, Washington in 2005 for work. I'm still trying to figure out how to update my profile I think I might need to do it on my desktop when I get off this boat. Doing every thing on my iPad app right now.

~Chris

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Welcome

Lafayette is not to far from me. There are quite a few of us in the Greater Baton Rouge area.

A bunch of good guys here. Very helpful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts