Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just now shifting gears in life and would love to get into woodworking. I used to watch my father make all kinds of thing like furniture, rifle stocks, cabinets, and clocks....man, he made a lot of clocks. I never took the time to learn because I was more of a nuts and bolts kind of kid. I'd take things about to see how they worked. When I was old enough, I began a long love affair with motor sports. If it had a motor; I was working on it. If it went fast; I made it faster. Cars, motorcycles, and boats...I was into it all. I'm very hands on and have a great attention to detail (my Uncle Sam taught me that) I did learn some general carpentry from my father that has been really helpful.

My wife asked why I haven't been in the car or on the motorcycle in a while and I just said,"I just like to slow down a little." She just laughed and said, "okay, make me a planter for the patio." I went to the local big box store and whipped up a cedar planter with little to no woodworking tools. She loved it and said that I should get into woodworking.

After a lot of web searching and YouTube; I realized I needed to start with a good table saw. I started out dead set on a portable one, then a contractor one, and now I'm at a cabinet saw (damn internet!). My reasoning is, I have the room, I want accuracy, and I only want to buy a TS once. I have narrowed to one of two Grizzlys.

I found this place by doing a search on the tables saws and found information that I didn't even know enough to know I should know. HAHAHA. Like most things I get into, I'm always in the hunt for more information and very eager to learn.

I'm really looking forward to reading as much as I can here.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Welcome!

The amount of talent, experience and creativity here is mind boggling.

You won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Welcome!
I have a table saw (actually 2) but don't use them very much--other tools have caught my attention for some time now.....
Dave H

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard From St. Mary's Georgia

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts