Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone from Jaguar Fl. (sorry) Jacksonville Fl. we made the playoffs second time in 12 yrs. kinda happy! Well just wanted to say hello. I am 43 yrs,old empty nester with a newly cleaned work shed. I would love to be the guy that makes the cool shelves or the bookcase or the plate holder. The only problem is I don't know how.I want to know,I just don't know now.How do you start? do you buy books?Where do you get started?I've got a want for the hobby I just don't know where to get the knowledge.Thank you for your help.

Rick H.
Jags. Fl.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Welcome to the site Rick!
The answer to your question would be where ever you can soak up info. Books, TV programs, magazines and best of all forums like this one from people who woodwork everyday.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Woodman. Do you have any advice on what basic power tools to start out with?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
It seems to me that most folks agree that a good table saw is one of the essentials. Everything else really depends on what kind of projects you will be doing.
You might check out some of the pics of folks shops to give you an idea. I finally posted mine a few minutes ago. Somewhat cleaned up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello everyone from Jaguar Fl. (sorry) Jacksonville Fl. we made the playoffs second time in 12 yrs. kinda happy! Well just wanted to say hello. I am 43 yrs,old empty nester with a newly cleaned work shed. I would love to be the guy that makes the cool shelves or the bookcase or the plate holder. The only problem is I don't know how.I want to know,I just don't know now.How do you start? do you buy books?Where do you get started?I've got a want for the hobby I just don't know where to get the knowledge.Thank you for your help.

Rick H.
Jags. Fl.:thumbsup:
Welcome to the site,do alot of reading like I have been doing. I'm just a few miles north of you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeh a table saw is the first thing on my list in fact I was looking at them today. Wow what a vast price range. From $99-$5000 and up.What is a good middle of the road saw say less than a grand that would fit the bill?I only have a 60amp service in my shed so corded would be best.To give you an idea my first project will be a storage cabinet for my daughter's bathroom something small for towels,soap ect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts