Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the forum today as I have, over the past year, been doing a fair bit of woodwork. I'm mostly into rustic works and reusing old disused timber, giving it a new purpose.

I really look forward to seeing what kind of things people get up to and learning a lot more because I am basically a novice!

Just thought I'd attach a picture of my first table, made entirely of old roofing batten I found in my garden.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and I look forward to talking with you all soon.

ForumRunner_20131228_150441.jpg

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome! Very nice table you have there looking forward to more of your projects.

Reactions: clintuk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys, I look forward to seeing all your stuff too.

Cabinetman, that "Welcome" sign is fantastic!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The motherland! Haha, I like your style Tony. I'm in the east of England in a town called Bury St Edmunds.

Have you visited the UK before?

·
puffessional Scrabbleist
155 Posts
England

Yup. A few decades ago my wife asked me to pick a place for vacation with our timeshare. I told her to schedule it and I'd go...wherever she picked. We wound up spending a month up north in your lake region. Stayed in Keswick for a bit and then moved to Ambleside. We drove into Scotland several times, mostly to see remnants of Hadrian's Wall. Couldn't get to Edinburgh due to ice. It was late November through Christmas so we experienced mostly sub-freezing temperatures the whole trip and the sun set around 1 PM.

Nothing was open but the folks living there were really friendly and rarely passed us as we walked without stopping to chat with "the crazy Americans coming in winter". The roads in that region run up to 28% gradient...without guardrails. Even the sheep were scared. The weather forced us to relax and enjoy the local "pub" atmosphere.

While in Ambleside I ducked into a portico to get out of the cold and saw a warm fire where I met two woodworkers and about five lathes, all water driven. Over the next few days I was treated to a few lessons in old fashioned turning on a water powered lathe with these amazing tools. I made a chess set upon returning home using what they taught me.

We drove south into London where it was warm. We didn't stay in London but a day. It was a wonderful trip. I corresponded with one chap with the lathe for a few years before he died.

We've been a few places over the years but that was our favorite. Always wanted to go back to the Windermere Lake area during summer but haven't made it.

Again, welcome.

TonyM

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've not been to Scotland since I was a baby so I rather envy your experiences there Tony, I must go again soon. I saw the chess set on your photo bucket page, looks fantastic, must've been great to work with those old methods and old tools whilst in Scotland.

I'm very impressed by your cars on your Etsy page, I'm not much of a car guy but I can see the dedication that's gone into making them, they are brilliant.

Thanks again guys, have a happy new year!

·
puffessional Scrabbleist
155 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for comments on work. Getting the chess set back in possession so I could take pictures of it involved getting the new owner (daughter) to let me refinish the pieces. I need to get more persistent of taking pix as I go along and upon finishing. I've had to work backwards several times to get a pic of my finished projects.

TonyM

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the welcome guys, I've been looking over the forum the last week or so and blimey, there is some amazing work on here! I can only hope to produce work as wonderful as I've seen here one day.

GoNavy429, I'll head over to your thread and have a gander, see what I know if anything!

·
Cedar Box Maker
165 Posts
Reactions: clintuk
1 - 17 of 17 Posts