Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
Found your website while searching for comparisons to painting panelling or pulling it off and working with drywall underneath.
This site looks quite comprehensive! Glad I found it!
If anyone has any tips/hints on the above subject, I'd appreciate it. Looking at buying a house that is ENTIRELY panelled! Being a child of the 70's, you'd think I'd love it! I really just want to know what is going to be the more cost-effective approach.
Thanks much!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
26,359 Posts
Hello from Dallas. Chances are if the house has paneling on the walls there are cracks and other defects on the drywall under it. Anyway if they put it up with construction adhesive your looking at a major job scraping it off. It would probably be a lot less work on you to cover the walls with 1/4" sheetrock then to patch the walls under the paneling.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Greetings!
Found your website while searching for comparisons to painting panelling or pulling it off and working with drywall underneath.
This site looks quite comprehensive! Glad I found it!
If anyone has any tips/hints on the above subject, I'd appreciate it. Looking at buying a house that is ENTIRELY panelled! Being a child of the 70's, you'd think I'd love it! I really just want to know what is going to be the more cost-effective approach.
Thanks much!
First of all welcome. I closed on a house in September of last year and I had the same issue in the living room. I began to pull off the paneling and found that it was done with construction adhesive and nails. In short, I wasn't going to pull it off without taking off the drywall. Due to my budget (or lack there of) I went another route. What I did is use joint compound and put into the grooves with a spatula, then sanded it flat to the paneling. I then primed and painted it. You really can't tell in most places and so far it has held up well. I am not sure if that was the "best" way to go or how long it will last. We are currently saving our pennies to redo the entire room with new sheetrock, but as long as this holds we are going to leave it as is. If you need any more info on what I did you can PM me. I will say there are many here that may have a better fix but that is what I did and as I said before it has worked and held up fine.

Hays

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

·
Registered
253 Posts
You're welcome. You can learn a lot from members on this forum. I would suggest looking around the threads, your question may have been answered already. There is a great deal of knowledge around here and just about everyone is very willing and eager to help out. Good luck and keep us posted on how everything goes.
I will try and post some after pics when I get home tonight so you can see the difference.

Hays
p.s. the 70's will never die!! :laughing:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Welcome!
Dave H

1 - 11 of 11 Posts