Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I have a question regarding my front door that has cracked, from just below the handle to the bottom.

I believe it is a solid oak door, with a dark stain finish and sealer.
It has been very cold outside for the past 4 weeks, and I imagine it
has caused the crack.

I would like to know how I would be able to fix this, so that it does not show.
Do I need to fill it in somehow?
If so, what would I use to do that.

I appreciate any help.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Welcome to the site. Probably the best thing to do would be to apply glue to the crack then take several clamps and pull the crack shut and let the glue set up. Once the glue has set up then you should be able to remove the clamps and reinstall the door. After you clamp it make sure to wipe off any glue that has squeezed out. The repair should be invisible. I would also use some scrap peices of wood between the door and clamps so the pressure of the clamps doesn't mar the door. You will probably have to wait till spring to do this as the door will need to be removed for the repair.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Welcome Yummy.
A trick I learned from doing this if your crack isn't big enough for gravity feed alone; go to a feed store or someplace where they sell veteranarian supplies and by a big hypodermic plunger and needle. They are huge and big enough to run glue through. You'll find other uses too like reparing dowels in chairs etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.

The crack is pretty much like a hairline crack running vertically from below the door handle to the ground.

How would I clamp this?
And is there anyway that I can fix it without removing the door?
If I fill it with glue, what type of glue would I use?
And would it eventually crack again when the weather gets colder?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Bar clamps would be the best thing to use. I would use 4 of them. You could also use strap clamps and if you did that you could leave the door in place and still shut it. 3 or 4 of them would do the trick. I would use a waterproof wood glue. A polyurethane glue would be better but can get very messy and damage the finish on the door. If glued correctly it should never come apart again in the same place.

Here is a strap clamp that would be your best bet. Be carefull about clamping it too hard and damaging the edge of the door.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=221781-52800-BANR400

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Another thing is to make sure when you strap it together to take a damp rag and clean off any glue squeeze out. Especially under the straps. You'll be able to lift them stightly and clean the glue squeeze out. Also protect the strap with some wax paper so it doesn't get glued to the door.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Getting it inside the crack to coat most of the surface area on both sides of the wood grain is your key to success.
If you only coat the crack a little more than superficialy it will re-open. Quickly.
I would use Titebond III in this instance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dave and texastimbers

Thanks for all the great information.

I will try doing the glue thing.
After I put the glue in, then should I strap it?

It won't come apart?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yes. Put the glue in and as TexasTimbers said make sure you try to force it as deeply as you can. The more glue in the crack will help to hold it together.

Then put the straps on it and cinch it down as tight as you can to try to force the crack shut without damaging the edges of the door. You will have glue squeeze out which will need to be wiped clean with a damp rag and make sure and get under the straps so you don't glue them to the door. Place a peice of wax paper between the strap and door to help with this.

Let the glue dry overnite and remove the strap. It should hold for a long time, hopefully forever.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will try this when the weather gets warmer.

Also, I noticed today that there are other cracks along the other side of the door.

So I will have to put glue in all of them.

·
johnep
2,001 Posts
cracked oak door

You can buy cramp heads which will fix to a length of timber to make a long cramp. you will need to make up at least two.

I have used them when building drawer frames.

The strap cramps are like they use on sides of lorries to tension the tarps.
just coming into use in the UK. I might well get a pair now.
johnep

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
johnep

I have not tried the staps yet.
But, I was hoping that I could find something that I could fill them with instead.

The straps would mean that I have to take the door down?
And would it really work and make the cracks go away and not come back?

Thanks for your help.

·
johnep
2,001 Posts
filling cracks

In that case silicone filler as used in kitchens and bathrooms would be the answer as it would flex with the cracks. You should be able to buy it pretinted, otherwise someone on this forum will know how to colour silicone to match. Screwfix Uk do range of colours for kitchen fitters.

johnep

·
johnep
2,001 Posts
cracks in door

If use glue and clamps, should be able to apply a bar clamp with door open. Strap clamps should have an end which can be threaded through the hinge space. My old oak front door had hinges which swung the door away from the frame on opening. Had plenty of room for this procedure.
good luck
johnep

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
johnep

Thanks johnep for the information.
I appreciate it.

I will try and see if I can find the straps.
Does Home Depot carry them?

I will also try the silicone.
I have the stain that was used for the door.
I wonder if I could point it?

Thanks again.

·
johnep
2,001 Posts
Yes, all our local DIY stores carry strap clamps. I have not bought a pair yet but will do so when next assembling furniture.
johnep

1 - 17 of 17 Posts