Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I've been running a woodworking business in Aberdeenshire, Scotland for 30 years and still have a lot to learn! In the past, we have used conventional machinery and concentrated on kitchens, bedrooms, libraries, etc.
This year, however, I've been concentrating on a project where we've cut down a beech tree on our land with a hand saw and, using the contents of an antique tool chest, I have made a traditional chair in my shed. All this is documented in one of my websites, http://www.wood-mag.co.uk/wood-working-articles.html - you may find this interesting.
Regards,
Allan

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Welcome to the forum Allan.
Where did everybody go when the tree fell into the water?
I have one of those tree saws that I found in the old shop at an old house we bought when my wife an I got married. Its about 6ft long and still has the original handles. Never really had the ambition to want to use it, have it hanging in new shop.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi Allan - Interesting website. And I have to admire your efforts. At my age even looking at the pictures of all that hand labor makes me tired.

What species are you commonly using, and what's the availability of lumber "over there?" I'm under the impression that your long history has made harvestable trees far more scarce than here.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey Allen,

Couldn't stop myself from responding to your introduction. Especially because at this time of day, I take a few hours to respond to inquiries and scan the forums, all the while nursing 5 to 6 fingers of my favorite SCOTCH (Famous Grouse) over ice.

Ed

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum Allan.
Where did everybody go when the tree fell into the water?
I have one of those tree saws that I found in the old shop at an old house we bought when my wife an I got married. Its about 6ft long and still has the original handles. Never really had the ambition to want to use it, have it hanging in new shop.
Hello Woodman 42,
Thanks for your concern! We're all right, we knew the tree was going so we just stepped back and enjoyed the spectacle!
As long as your saw is not rusty (deeply embedded), then it will be of use. It probably needs sharpening, however - and that's another story!
Allan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Allan - Interesting website. And I have to admire your efforts. At my age even looking at the pictures of all that hand labor makes me tired.

What species are you commonly using, and what's the availability of lumber "over there?" I'm under the impression that your long history has made harvestable trees far more scarce than here.
Hello,
I note your interest in our dwindling stock of hardwood trees, however it is not as bad as it seems. Trees can only be cut down here with the permission of our local planning department and their main concern is that trees are replaced. However, trees do get blown down and die naturally and these can be used for making furniture. That's what I'm talking about in my articles and video clips http://www.wood-mag.co.uk/wood-working-articles.html, where we are cutting down a beech tree, which was struck by lightening some years ago.

·
johnep
2,004 Posts
Caught the lunchtime train from Peterborough in June and enjoyed a splendid lunch while speeding through the countryside, over the Firth of Forth bridge and a great few days in Aberdeen. Although there was coastal fog, brilliant sun over the cairngorms and we loved the mountains, Braemar etc. visited the Glenfiddich distillery. We thought Aberdeen grossly underestimated as a tourist destination and got a great hotel deal as the hotels are empty at weekends.
I'll have a drop or two tonight and toast all you good folks.
johnep

·
Senior Member from MN
219 Posts
welcome!

The closest I've been to you is Inverness and Crieff (toured the Glenturrent distillery). I would love to continue further to Aberdeenshire in the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts